Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing - Pre Easter Report  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing - Pre Easter Report
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report.18th APRIL 2011 EASTER REPORT
By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

NEWS

Last Week –Different week with much cooler weather, a little rain and even snow on the mountain peaks.
The south easterly winds did not make fishing easy over last weekend and it was quite cool again.
On the rivers it was cool, rain in the mountains last Sunday brought the Thredbo River up a little early in the week and more rainbows were seen in the river and looked like moving though on a very early spawning run.
At times these fish were catchable especially on lures and the odd fish even on a dry fly.
On the lake the fishing was a little slower trolling but a big improvement now in land based bait fishing.
Spin and fly on the lake is also improving with the cooler water.

This Week –After the cooler start to the week it looks like it will warm up as we approach the Easter break.
Long range weather forecasts are for a much better week with temperatures up in the low 20’s which should be great for the Easter break however it’s a little early yet to see what will happen by the weekend.
That early morning start combined with a little luck and there is a very good chance of a trout or two off the lake foreshore using lures or bait.
The early morning boat trolling should also be good with more fish being caught off the surface now.
On the Thredbo River the problem wont be the trout, it will most likely be the large number of anglers that are sure to give the rivers a try over Easter, so be early and you might have a fish or two in the bag before the crowd turns up.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
With the cooler weather last week, the lake water temperature has dropped to about 13 degrees C.
Lake Jindabyne’s water level has been steady and is still over 80% and things are looking great for Easter.
Photos of the latest lake levels can be viewed at www.swtroutfishing.com.au
Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next weeks.

Trolling.Start the day off trolling surface lines through no more than 15 feet of water, but keep the length of line from the boat at least 70 metres to 100 metres away for best results. Lead core line at about 30 metres out and with a Tasmanian Devil lure will get you down to about 10 feet deep and trolled along with a surface line will get you the bigger browns feeding on the bottom. (Bigger minnow lure are better for bigger browns)
Downrigging is catching the trout in the middle of the day at about 20 to 35 feet in deep water.
Reports are that there are still some good browns being caught on bigger Rapalas (9 to 13 cm) up near Waste Point and I would expect a few more brown trout will be there with the cooler changes coming through now.
Lure colours are also changing now depending on the light conditions. Yellowing lures are still best however black and orange Tasmanian Devils are good and there may be a turn to even pink lures soon. The number 50 Frog pattern is still worth keeping out of the tackle box and Y Freddo very popular for the brighter days. Y48 and Holographic (mostly brown lures) Tasmanian Devils in the Duel Depth best in the very early morning.
Best areas to try are East Jindabyne Islands, Hayshed Bay, Lion and Cub Islands and the South arm have been fishing very well. It might be worth trying Sid’s Bay early in the morning.

Lake Bait Fishing  (Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Primary Industries (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAITFISH IN RIVERS!)
Bait fishing is improving with reports of more fish taking powerbait now, mainly rainbows. A few bigger browns being caught late evening and into the night mostly on worms or bardi grubs off the bottom.
Talk to my shop as to the best powerbait colour as its changing day to day. (Lime twist and sherbet have been good)
When bait fishing, the big secret at the moment is to fish with bail arm open and make sure you grease the line to make sure you keep it out of the slime on the bottom of the lake. (Try silicone Muslin on your line so as not to damage it)
Best areas for bait fishing at the moment have been, Rushes Bay, Curiosity Rocks, Waste Point, The Snowy Arm and East Jindabyne pumping station.
Kiddies, there is still some yabbies about at the moment – great fun to catch and good to eat as well!

Lake Spinning A little slower this week but that may improve as the week goes on. Blades and soft plastics are good and well worth a try. Some of the better blades are TT Switchblade ‘Golden Boy’, Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 35 BLG and Cyber Vibe 50JU009. (note the goldfish usually bread at this time of year and the trout love to eat the little ones)
Yellow wing Tassies are good also so try Y48 or Y82 Tassie Devil. Rapalas, Celtas and Mepps are all worth a try in the shallows when fishing early and late in the day

River SpinningThe Thredbo River is still fishing OK but the trout may be a little spooky with the sunnier conditions this week.
I would expect that there will be a lot of people fishing the Thredbo over the Easter holiday break so you will get your best fishing by being early or finding a spot away from everyone else.
Minnow lure like Rapalas, Stumpjumpers etc have been best with possibly the best Rapalas being Rainbow and Brown Trout Patterns or Perch and throw in the brook trout as well for good measure.
Sinking Rapalas for faster and deeper water and don’t worry about size as bigger is sometimes better.
VERY good reports last week of trout being caught on ‘blades’ and soft plastics in the Thredbo as well.
Talk to my staff about the best ones to use as it changes depending on sunny or cloudy days.

Fly Fishing LakeThe lake fishing has improved a lot and the trout are cruising the edges a little more now. Most strikes were on streamer patterns with the best being green and black Woolley Buggers (Bead head) and Williamson’s Goldfish (maybe with added weight or sinking leader). Mrs Simpson and olive nymphs are also worth a try and again let them sink into deeper water as the shallow bays the water is warmer.

Fly Fishing RiversOn the Thredbo, as mentioned before, there are some early spawners but they need some work to catch them. The clear water and the number of anglers about, does not help matters. Black or brown nymphs and similar colour streamers are what you need and a weighted glowbug in the faster water may help attract the trout.
The alpine streams are still clean and the fish were taking black crickets, yellow Humpy or a Knobby Hopper.
The weather this week looks good, so it may be your last chance to give them a go before it really gets cold up there.
Fish may not be as big as the Thredbo, but they are still fun to catch!
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

EASTER TACKLE SHOP SALE
It’s been a hard year in retail and with winter almost here, I am having a big sale at my shop over Easter so I can put money back into the bank to keep my family fed and staff employed over the long winter months ahead.
So that means I have to sacrifice stock at ridiculous prices and so expect to see bargains in my shop over the Easter break. I can guarantee that all of our fishing clothing, pants, shirts, jackets etc will be UNDER wholesale price. All of our Coleman Camping Gear is at cost price plus 5%. Fly fishing rods and reels are minimum 25% off! Selected spin rods are up to 50% off! Selected lures at wholesale!
LOTS OF BARGAINS but for EASTER ONLY!

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait  and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies
P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au
Shop – (02) 64 561551  Fax – (02) 64 572991

Pics: Luke & Steve Hedger from Sussex Inlet NSW with some Rainbow Trout caught trolling last week