Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Have we got it wrong?  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Have we got it wrong?
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
This may or may not be the correct area for this discussion, but I'll bung it here for now.

My question is, do we have the right people in charge of Recreational Angling in Queensland?
Currently, it rests with DAFF Qld.  Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.  I believe that the role of controlling and promoting "Recreational Angling" should be with another Governement Department.  Lumping a recreational activity in with Farming, Logging and Netting just isn't right.  The people in charge of these departments really aren't concerned too much with a few people going fishing for the weekend.
Following are the Ministers:
Premier
Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
Treasurer and Minister for Trade
Minister for Health
Minister for Education, Training and Employment
Minister for Police and Community Safety
Attorney-General and Minister for Justice
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
Minister for Housing and Public Works
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection
Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
Minister for Energy and Water Supply
Minister for Local Government
Minister for Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
Minister for Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts
Minister for National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games
Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Multicultural Affairs and Minister Assisting the Premier

If we look at the roles these Ministers are responsible for we may get a better idea of where we belong.

Lets look at this one:
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

John McVeigh MP

Responsible for agriculture, fisheries, and forestry – including food and fibre production, and biosecurity – including plant and animal disease protection, exotic pest management and animal welfare.

I don't really seeing that role encompassing Recreational Angling.

Next:
Minister for National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing

Steven Dickson MP

Responsible for marine parks management, national parks management - including access to national parks, and recreation, racing, and sport.

OK, this is for Recreation, and he has the Marine Parks Management and National Parks management.  Could this be a better Ministry to look after our rights as Recreational Anglers?

Or:
Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games

Jann Stuckey MP

Responsible for the Commonwealth Games, developing small business capability, investment promotion, major events, regulatory reform, small business resilience and tourism development and promotion.

We cannot deny that Recreational Angling brings a fair amount of Tourism to our state.  Should this be where we belong?

I'll put my hand up and say that Recreational Angling belongs in the Minister for National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing's portfolio, but he should work hand in hand with the Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games to control, promote and enhance recreational angling.

What say you?

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
Re: Have we got it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
recreational fishing is still a 'fishery' more valuable than many of the net strangling versions in many regions - to manage it correctly you need to understand fish and even habitat and aquaculture (although these seem to be  dirty words under the new mob's arrangements) - why would we want to move management of our fishery any further away from the department and minister that is meant to have the nouse - re; fish breeding, production, habitat, stocking rates etc..?  I think it should stay under DAFF and that DAFF should retain program committments to looking after aquaculture development and fish habiat management including the recently  disbanded fish passage barrier rectification teams - both commercial and recreational fisheries depend on habitat managment inititives and to walk away from it like they have done is an utter disgrace - ignorant bean counters with a razor,..they should at least check if programs have been kicking goals before they slash them >:( :Hunting)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere their bitting
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi Aussiebasser
I think you make a good point.
Recreational angling especially  for regional areas does attract tourism and the National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing part of it would also help with protection of our waterways.

While we are at it lets also take the private ownership of our "catchment dams" from Sunwater and put them into the hands of both National Parks Recreation, Sport and Racing and Tourism, Major Events, Small Business.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
Hi Aussiebasser
I think you make a good point.
Recreational angling especially  for regional areas does attract tourism and the National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing part of it would also help with protection of our waterways.

While we are at it lets also take the private ownership of our "catchment dams" from Sunwater and put them into the hands of both National Parks Recreation, Sport and Racing and Tourism, Major Events, Small Business.

But do you really think that one Minister has the time to deal with all the issues in Agriculture, as well as the Forestry industry and all the Professional Fisherman in the State, and then have the time to worry about recreational anglers and their needs.  We had FFSAQ jumping up and down about the Tourism Minister recently when she told them that Recreational Angling did not reside in her portfolio.  She was 100% correct in what she said, but should Recreational Angling get a mention in the Tourism portfolio.  I believe it should, and I also believe it sould be mentioned in the Sports and Recreation portfolio, not just left to sink below the important part of DAFF's role, which is what is now happening.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere their bitting
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
I think if the roles went to those who had a keen interest in the departments they are representing  things would be a lot different.
 Most of the people that head these departments have been given the job from a 'mate' for a favour.  (think Yes Minster T.V series).
I do think if the minister for Nat parks etc and minister for Tourism etc have a good team around them and can commutate well anything good be possible.
The Departments are fitting to much under one heading. for example Racing is with  National parks. i really dont get that.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Maybe Can Do knows Steve Dickson is a punter.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Marine Habitat (including Fish Habitat Area Unit) went from DAFF to Dept National Parks, Recreation, Sport and racing in the recent Cando musical chairs and slash.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
My question to you all is, do we have the right people in charge of Recreational Angling in Queensland? Forget about the government being the management/promotional tool to take recreational fishing forward, what about interest groups especially prime interest groups.

If there is one thing that Cando has indicated to the people of Queensland is - it is not up to his government to do things which he believes that the community or interest groups cannot do themselves. Recreational Fisheries is something that he and Minister McVeigh can put on the back-burner until Election Commitments are fulfilled (i.e. Commercial net buy-back $9 million of the $10 million dollar Fisheries commitment) because they know that a disorganised, multi-opinioned, disfunctional interest (community) group(s) are attached to recreational fisheries.

It is very interesting times ahead for groups like Sunfish and FFSAQ to gain public support and membership support for a unified voice in the Ministers office.......because there are groups like ANSA, etc....who are very quickly coming to terms with what the Minister will deal with and won't deal with.

Don't be fooled though 80% of the Ministerials (Hot Topics) that go across Minister McVeigh's desk each year are fisheries related (that figure may be slightly over now that the 'mining/CSG Vs. agricultural land battle' has reared its ugly head of late !!) but I suspect that it would be still very high! He will have to pay some attention to it - considering the enormous staff and budget cuts to his Fisheries department - but it is all about who gets the seat at the desk!!!

Who should that be ???

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
But do you really think that one Minister has the time to deal with all the issues in Agriculture, as well as the Forestry industry and all the Professional Fisherman in the State, and then have the time to worry about recreational anglers and their needs.  We had FFSAQ jumping up and down about the Tourism Minister recently when she told them that Recreational Angling did not reside in her portfolio.  She was 100% correct in what she said, but should Recreational Angling get a mention in the Tourism portfolio.  I believe it should, and I also believe it sould be mentioned in the Sports and Recreation portfolio, not just left to sink below the important part of DAFF's role, which is what is now happening.

What about the shooter's, I don't know of that many in main city centre's that don't travel to the bush to clean up goats and pig's - going on what you beleive they too should be under the Tourism portfolio and any other group that travels to carry out there sport/hobby..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
Marine Habitat (including Fish Habitat Area Unit) went from DAFF to Dept National Parks, Recreation, Sport and racing in the recent Cando musical chairs and slash.

Well that is a classic example of them not knowing sh*t from clay, Fish Habitat Areas are for supporting fisheries production - National Parks have expertise in biodiversity conservation (usually fully protected areas) but are not experienced (or I would say qualified) to look out for habitat from a utilisation / fisheries support point of view - why divorce the habitat component out of fisheries? If habitat managment ends up sitting only with National Parks we'll regret it.. :-\

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
What about the shooter's, I don't know of that many in main city centre's that don't travel to the bush to clean up goats and pig's - going on what you beleive they too should be under the Tourism portfolio and any other group that travels to carry out there sport/hobby..

i think we've proven that freshwater recreational angling cannot exist without some support in the form of stocking fish.  Recreational hunting does not need that support.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 339
  • -Receive: 135
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
I agree with Jim.

The last DAFF survey reported that 17% (703,000) of Queenslanders rec fish with 50% releasing their catch. (http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/2010-SWRFS-Execsummary.pdf)
What would happen if we lost our marine sustainability infrastructure to Tourism or Sport and Rec? It would directly affect our rec fishing!

Dale makes a good point about rec fishing, it probably would be better suited in another department (I don't think the government see it as an area that will make them money; they made the decision to cut funding to stocking groups before DAFF released their survey proves their ignorance).

But from a sustainability point of view, I wouldn't like to lose what allows us to fish now and in the future.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
It does really make one think that they may have a hidden agenda and have long term plans to introduce a freshwater fishing license and scrap the SIP.
 If it was modeled on NSW scheme would mean money for restocking waters that have just had funding cut but probably be a lot less for current SIP waters.
Whilst they may state that  they will only take a fixed percentage for administration they would probably find other ways to increase their take such as to include enforcement costs and provide infrastructure.
No matter what it would be a user pays scheme with no freebies attached.
It does not really matter under which umbrella we are under if the relevant minister has no interest in certain areas of his portfolio.
 If as what fishfolk says 80% of Ministerials that hit the ministers desk are fisheries related it is up to us to keep the pressure up so that he takes notice and starts to do something constructive.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: queensland
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
maybe if the government formed a working committee with reps from all the various departments we could see some vast inprovements for rec fishers in the state

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
maybe if the government formed a working committee with reps from all the various departments we could see some vast inprovements for rec fishers in the state
I think what fish folk was trying to tell us was that this Government won't do that.  It's up to us to make that happen.  Sadly the toothless and mostly spineless representative bodies we have are too focused on perpetuating their own existence and don't have time to find out what rec anglers actually want.