Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fishing access on Western Division TSRs raised in NSW Parliament  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Fishing access on Western Division TSRs raised in NSW Parliament

Concerns are growing about fishing access in TSRs in the Western Division of NSW. Fishing is explicitly banned in the regulations covering use of TSRs in this region, an area which is almost all leasehold country and which covers over 40% of the state. Although this situation has apparently existed for a very long time, recent cases of denied access and alleged trespass have brought it into the spotlight.
This exchange in Parliament from 30 November reveals that there is some confusion about the regulation, the existence of which seems to have caught the government by surprise:
The Hon. ROBERT BROWN: My question without notice is directed to the Minister for Lands, representing the Minister for Primary Industries. Is it a fact that under rural lands protection regulations fishing is considered an excluded prohibited activity in all travelling stock reserves in the western division of New South Wales? Is it also a fact that the western division covers about 50 per cent of the State, including many waterways, such as the Darling, Paroo and Warrego Rivers? Is it a fact that this exclusion applies not only to visitors to the travelling stock reserves but also to western land leaseholders? If these access exclusions are a fact, will the Minister undertake to review the regulations to remove the access exclusions?
The Hon. TONY KELLY: I thank the honourable member for his question. I am not aware that that is the case, but I certainly undertake to find out whether it is and to see if we can remedy the situation. A process was started a couple of years ago—in fact it is a 100 year old process—where the old Pastoral Protection Boards have those travelling stock reserves reserved for their use, but they are actually Crown land and if ever they release them, they automatically go back to become Crown land. Some of the areas, in particular I think around Maitland, have handed most, if not all of them, back and we have undertaken to ensure that they continue to be reserved for their current uses. My recollection is that the director general of the Land and Property Management Authority a couple of years ago reserved those travelling stock reserves for environmental reasons, for recreational reasons, and obviously for travelling stock reserves to ensure that long into the future they will be available for access to fishermen, as a lot of them are, throughout the State. The member alludes to a particular issue in the western division of the State, and I undertake to get an answer for him.
We understand from the Hon. Robert Brown’s office that although Parliament has finished for the year they are still hopeful of a reply from Minister Kelly.

Source: NSW CFA

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au