Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Family Gathering  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Family Gathering
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
Family gatherings. You have to love them right. So when the wife told me we had two individual events that we needed to attend over the weekend I said, goodie. But then I reminded her that I had organized a gathering of fishing brothers for the weekend chasing some green fish in the New England border region. That went down well as you can imagine but I had dibs in for a month so I won that battle but maybe not the war.

Had been watching the weather for the region for the last week and noticed so not so friendly conditions with storms and rain predicted for the Thursday to Sunday. Friday morning approached and before work it was time to log into the internet to see if any changes to the forecast had eventuated and to my despair it was still the same with about 25mm of rain falling in some areas over night.  I owe, I owe it’s off to work I go. With mid afternoon on me it was time to climb out of the ditch and head home to pack the last of the gear.

So kayak on the roof and a quick call to the fishing brothers we made our way south with the plan to meet up in Warwick before venturing further south. With the beat of the windscreen wipers and the tunes on the radio I found my way to the meeting point.

The weather had abated and we walked into the local tackle shop, purchased a few items and off we went into the late afternoon southwards. On arrival to our destination the weather gods were holding off and allowed us to get a makeshift camp set up without getting wet. Just as we finished and cracked the first cold ale the drizzle started and we made our way to some shelter to lubricate our necks and tie on leaders, discuss tactics and bullshite the night away. After a skinfull we made our way to beds with the rain taping away on the canvas.

Morning came and the sky was overcast and threatening, but we made our way to the river after a few wrong turns, a talk on the radio and a bit of guidance from a local on the UHF. We were there. Set up and on the water.

We made our way down a bit past a temporary camp on the traveling stock route and I was the first to get the tally away with a typical green fish coming on board.

And before long the weather started its precession of drizzle, rain, overcast.

The thing was we got not many follows or hits when it was raining; maybe they were cold and wet like us. Here is Jeff with one when the rain stopped.

It was a time for a break and stretch the legs once we reached a set of rapids. I went down and had a look at the impending hazards. There was only one which was a log jam.
If you look close Jeff ever the greenie is trying to save that dead tree in the back ground. Looks like he is watering it.

I attached the rope to the front of the kayak and walked down. Well Dave wanted to be the fully loaded man crossed with the solo man and he went down sitting on top. Yep you guessed it, the log jam. So in fits of laughter, with me at the bottom and Jeff at the top, Dave’s kayak became a submarine. Unfortunately we have no pics as we were too busy concerned for his safety(read laughing at his misfortune). Dave got his yak out and I went down stream to get his tackle bag, drinks and odds and ends. End result was one very embarrassed yakker, one lost net and drowned camera. Other than that it was back to fishing.

Bit further down the pool Jeff picked up another green one. Oh yeah, I am now the tour photographer for the weekend as Dave’s camera is knackered  and Jeff, well he is just Jeff so let’s leave it there.

Somewhere along the line we turned back after a few more rapids and head back up stream. Dave finally gets the monkey off his back and gets one on board.

Jeff with another.

Just before we got to the launch site I managed to crack a fish and surprise, surprise, look what comes up. A fluro Yella.

When we get back to our start point at around lunch time it was time to crack out the little stove and pan and get some steak sangas into us. Yep its raining still and our only shelter for the cook up is under my rear door.

We head upstream after a feed and Dave got onto a few fish

Last one for the day

We head back to camp with the rain still falling. Back at camp it was a hot shower and some dry clothes before discussing tomorrows adventure at a different river over a feed and a few ales.

Morning comes and away we head to a new river for the day. Once again along a travelling stock rout and after driving down a track with grass over roof high we found a clearing and launch the yaks down the bank.

Dave ended up cracking the first one for the day. Different river, same result, typical river green fish

Just before we head upstream Jeff cracks this beauty out of a mid river snag.

A bit further on Jeff gets into another.

Dave sneaks another out of the snags.

Me, I am haven a shocker, getting follows, no hits till I finally got onto the board.

Before long the pattern for the weekend sets in and rain started to fall. So it was decided to head back to the cars as where we were was a bit worrying in the slippery conditions.
Dave gets onto on to one

One last cast right. Yep it’s still raining.

So we head back to camp and pack up the rest of the gear we had lying around. It was around mid day by the time we got away. Heading home through the rain it was good to reflect on the weekend that was. A quick stop at Stanthorpe to get some wine for the hugs and kisses and to get back into the good books was part of the plan. We parted ways at Warwick and head our merry way.
Family gathering. Yep I still had to go to one. They cancelled the lunch celebration and waited for me to get home on Sunday. So it was off to Asian for dinner.
See you next time fishing brothers. It was a good weekend.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1295
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Family Gathering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
A pearler of a read mate. And what are you doing fishing my snag Dave?? lol

I've hot some great days out there with the cod biting right through the rain & others where they're quite tight lipped. Think it's just the day & the rain makes little difference sometimes....

Thanks for the report, wish I was there with yas...  :youbeauty

I got a rod on the bottom of a crik out that way that was lost shooting some rapids.  :-X  Need to go looking for it.....

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Gotta love those green river fish.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »
Steve,

It was more of a "Wilderness Systems Tarpon appreciation Society" gathering . :youbeauty

Nice pics btw , I have doctored the 8th photo to highlight the tag in that particular fish.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
Steve,

It was more of a "Wilderness Systems Tarpon appreciation Society" gathering . :youbeauty

Cheers,
Dave.

Actually when I was going through the pics I noticed that. Maybe we can be the face of Wilderness System Kayak.

Actually, when you look at Jeff, you would have to cull him from the team as he is no oil painting like us.

baaahahahahahaha

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1295
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
Steve,

I have doctored the 8th photo to highlight the tag in that particular fish.

Cheers,
Dave.

Did you/anyone take down the tag info?

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Did you/anyone take down the tag info?

fitz..

Yeah mate we passed on all the info.  ;)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
The only picture I took before the camera got wet .

Steve in his "pimp my ride" Tarpon .

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 28
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the lawn mower isn't
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »
Actually when I was going through the pics I noticed that. Maybe we can be the face of Wilderness System Kayak.

Actually, when you look at Jeff, you would have to cull him from the team as he is no oil painting like us.

baaahahahahahaha

Oil paintings eh?  I remind you that Picaso painted in oils?  Yep, you two look like you came straight off his brush or was that his fingers?  Personally I've always thought that you two look more like badly draw Disney Toons!

Your loving Brother

Jeff  AKA The Good Lookin Rooster

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »
Good looking roster hey.

Fair dinkum Jeff, oil paintings and Picaso and relating to yourself in that vain.

Its more like Expressionism.

Please find attached a self potriat of Jeff when he saw hmself in the mirror. This was the time before the bad @rse bikie chopper moe

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
Sorry blokes, I can't really see any of you making the Cleo top one million list!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
Sorry blokes, I can't really see any of you making the Cleo top one million list!

What gives you that impression? Too much hair? ;D

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
Looked like a rather eventful weekend away guys and good to see you found some fish amongst the raindrops.

It was more of a "Wilderness Systems Tarpon appreciation Society" gathering .
I'd say it was more like a gathering of the "Old F@*#$ society" with Poppy leading the charge!! :P

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 28
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the lawn mower isn't
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Looked like a rather eventful weekend away guys and good to see you found some fish amongst the raindrops.

I'd say it was more like a gathering of the "Old F@*#$ society" with Poppy leading the charge!! :P

Toni,
I think Aretha Franklin said it best " R-E-S-P-E-C-T "

Isn't there a sink full of dishes with your name on it somewhere?

Jeff

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »
Good read and good pics too. :youbeauty

Toddy