Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: On a more Serious Subject  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
On a more Serious Subject
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
Do you blokes realise how lucky we are, being able to roam the impoundments fishing just how we please on a low cost fishing licence.

I met a young German fella on the Cardwell Pier last year ( he had a Barra wrapped around one of the pilons ) and he told me he can't afford to fish in Germany. Costs too much for a licence.

He said it was cheaper to fly to Norway to fish.

I have just been reading some of the regultions on fly fishing in Switzerland.  You have to do a course, learning about the environment of the streams, studing the fish, handling the fish even down to studing the scales ( i dont know why )

You then pass the exam before you will  be given a licence to fish. 

There is, at present, a lot of discussion on banning 'Catch and Release'  in favour of killing all that you bring in, they must find it cruel to release a slightly wounded fish.

It wont get better over there, when you look at the big picture Switzerland and all of its mountains and streams would fit in one of our largest cattle stations.

So the sum of all the above fellas is, we probably live in one of the best parts of the world to fish.  We have the variety of species to target, thousands of ks of coast line to fish in and it is cheap.

How can we not be happy with that.

Gordon

Be kind to the Natives.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: On a more Serious Subject
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:49:07 AM »
Yep, we have it pretty good here -
What worries me Gordon, is that Europe is the picture of what is coming for us one day.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrum River
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Yep It's good here but changing all the time. Some for the good some not so. Europe is not a place to base the future plans of Australia in any way shape or form in imho (not saying you have).
You didn't need a license here once. Now you do. Then there's a few places where you not only need a licence to fish but you need a licence to take a boat there. There was a time you could do what you want when you want without any expectations other than having a good time and not ruining where you went. I'm gonna stop there as I could start a whole soap opera on this subject. It makes me realise at how easily your rights get eroded at the flick of a green pen..then we say how lucky we are? we are just luckier than them..right now.  :)
Cheers
John

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
GORDON,

A very similar system exists for anyone Hunting over there also!

It's all about making sure those that do Fish/Hunt are serious about it!

And Yes, it is all "User PAYS"

Cheers

CCFISHER.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
You're absolutely correct Gordon. We are very fortunate to live in a land where we can pretty much come and go as we please, However we mustn't take it for granted that things will always be this way. All you have to do is look at the things like the "Torn Blue Fringe " report put out by the National Parks Association that lays down a plan for one big Marine parke from Sydney to the border. Then there's all the meddling that's gone on in Moreton Bay with various coloured zones as well as the other various coloured zones on the GBR. We ARE looking at the thin edge of the wedge and if ol Baldy Garrett has his way you won't be able to go anywhere near the Coral Sea. I believe the olD saying that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." But yest, apart from all that we're doing OK.
John

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
I can certainly see why things are so tightly regulated in Europe given the density of the population in relation to the size of some of the European countries.Imaging if it was open slather.
I cant see it happening here but bloody hell you never know these days.

Toddy

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
I guess I've been fishing as long as anyone my age, and I know that 40 years ago you needed a licence to fish in NSW and Victoria.  You still do.  There were closed seasons then, there still are.  I'm not sure where the erosion is occurring.  Here in Qld, I'm a new comer, and so is the Permit system for our stocked impoundments.  Without it, we'd still all be drowning worms for winter whiting though.  Most boat ramps are free, as is parking around them.  Some lakes have a fee to use them, but that normally provides us with good facilities there.  As far as sweet water fishing goes, Queensland has it better than most countries in the world and it doesn't look like changing.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events