Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Shimano Core  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Shimano Core
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the Shimano Core baitcaster good , bad or otherwise?
Cheers

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
Re: Shimano Core
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »
G'day mate

I bought one a while ago. It has had limited use, but the use it has had have been full days non-stop casting. Flawless performance and super smooth casting (NO vibration whatsoever) with very good distance using 15lb braid.

Comes with a second set of centrifugal brakes (lighter or heavier -- cannot remember), dismantling tool, oil and cloth cover.

The best feature is that it is super light so all day casting sessions are much easier than (say) a Calcutta 200/250.

It has a small lever on the bottom to give you instant access to these brakes for adjustment, but generally, once you set them, you do not need to touch these much unless in a distance comp and constantly changing casting weights or something.

They are no where near as "flashy" as the last batch of top of the range Shimanos i.e. not very shiny and fairly underwhelming to look at - kind of like a Curado in british racing green if you know what I mean. The finish is metallic and it looks like it would chip off pretty easy so no dragging it along the road or anything and maybe shout yourself a neoprene cover for it when traveling around in the boat.

The only thing they have against them is their price - ouch! Mine was a means of soaking up a well deserved bonus :)

are they worth it? well, if you like very good gear and have a top of the line rod to weld it to - yes. if you're going to lob out a bit of meat and go eeling or yabby-ing - nope

Cheers, NS

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
G'day mate,
I probably should have elaborated a bit more...I will be mainly using it in freshwater for lure casting and it 's going on a custom built Loomis blank with 30lb braid. It sounds like it would do the job but I just hadn't heard to much about them and if they had any issues!
Anyway , thanks for the reply, appreciated.
Clay

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
no probs Clay

go on - spoil yourself! :)

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events