Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Boating Access permit North Pine Dam 2011/2012.  (Read 26822 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
Boating Access permit North Pine Dam 2011/2012.
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
Lake Samsonvale 2011/12 Boating Access Scheme

The new season commences on the 3rd May 2011 and operates for a 12 month period and current Permit Holders must apply for a new Permit if they wish to participate in the 2011 / 2012 Boating Access Scheme

The Information Paper applicable to 2011 / 2012 Season is available now from our Website. www.prfma.com.au (Click on Boating Access Scheme located on the LHS of the Home Page)

On Line applications may be made from the 3rd April 2011.                   

Applications forms will be available online from 3rd April 2011 at the PRFMA website (www.prfma.com.au)  or can be obtained by contacting the PRFMA at PO Box 131, Lawnton, QLD  4501, call 0417 742 023,or email permits@prfma.com.au

The boating access scheme allows the issue of a maximum of 400 permits, available to anyone aged 16 years and over. Permits for the 2011/12 season will soon be available at a cost $100, the same price as when the scheme was launched in 2001, and will operate from the 3th May 2011 until 2nd May 2012.

2011 / 2012 Permit holders are issued with a new key to access the site, a new permit card, and different craft identification stickers.

All holders are required to sign a Deed of Agreement with the PRFMA that sets out the conditions of access. While not onerous, these conditions ensure that anglers comply with the conditions imposed by Seqwater to maintain water quality and respect the rights of lease holders around the lake, as well as ensuring safety on the site. The Association also requires permit holders to fill out catch cards to collect data which assists with future stocking decisions.

Stocking of this impoundment is carried out by the Pine Rivers Fish Management Association (PRFMA), under a license agreement with the owners Seqwater. The major source of funding for the PRFMA to undertake its stocking program is the issue of boating access permits, and this program, along with SIPS funding, ensured the 2010 stocking was one of the best in recent years.

Cheers
Ray

fishing ethics are the things that we do when we are unobserved by others!!

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: Boating Access permit North Pine Dam 2011/2012.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
Question...

Will this dam ever be part of the Sip? For me who is a kayak owner and not a boat owner it seems a bit expensive to pay $100 exclusively for the use of this dam when I can pay what ever the SIP is (way cheaper) and access all those dams on the Sip Program..All I need to launch a kayak is bank access to the dam, not a boat ramp

If this dam is owned by SEQ Water, what does the extra $60 go to except maybe cutting a key and giving me that big green sticker?

I was tossing around the idea of joining this year but the thought of $100 on another fishing venture does not ride well with the missus.

So what I am really asking is, will it ever be on the SIP?

Seems way cheaper that way and more accessible to everyone and in the long run you may get more funding for your stocking efforts...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
Question...

Will this dam ever be part of the Sip? For me who is a kayak owner and not a boat owner it seems a bit expensive to pay $100 exclusively for the use of this dam when I can pay what ever the SIP is (way cheaper) and access all those dams on the Sip Program..All I need to launch a kayak is bank access to the dam, not a boat ramp

I do believe it already is and it should be open to the general public wthout having to apply for there special permit, it is very similar to Connelly Dam out at Warrick.....why was it allowed to go onto the SIP system...who gave it the go ahead ??

https://www.smartservice.qld.gov.au/services/permits/fishing/apply

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Okay so there are no public access area's at North Pine Dam? I haven't been there just fished below the dam..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Plenty of public access to the dam. This permit is to fish one arm of the dam from a watercraft (electric or paddle only).

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
Question...

If this dam is owned by SEQ Water, what does the extra $60 go to except maybe cutting a key and giving me that big green sticker?

I was tossing around the idea of joining this year but the thought of $100 on another fishing venture does not ride well with the missus.

Seems way cheaper that way and more accessible to everyone and in the long run you may get more funding for your stocking efforts...

Cheers
The last paragraph of my post already explains that NPD is already part of the SIP scheme
The general public has always has had access to the lower parts of the dam and have availed themselves of the efforts of the PRFMAs stocking so in my opinion it is only fair that they contribute to stocking of the dam

"Stocking of this impoundment is carried out by the Pine Rivers Fish Management Association (PRFMA), under a license agreement with the owners Seqwater. The major source of funding for the PRFMA to undertake its stocking program is the issue of boating access permits, and this program, along with SIPS funding, ensured the 2010 stocking was one of the best in recent years."
Apart from a small portion that is required to maintain the site all of the monies from the boating access scheme and other money raising ventures that the PRFMA participates in go towards stocking the dam.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Question...

Cheers

Lake Samsonvale is already on the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS). So if you wish to fish from the limited area of lake that PRFMA lease you will need both.

You can fish from the shoreline at other access points around Lake Samsonvale if you have a SIP but cannot launch any type of watercraft. That may change with the recreation review. IMHO there's no harm in allowing kayak / canoe access at places like Bullocky Rest. I believe there is a submission along these lines being put forward from one large user group.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
Okay so there are no public access area's at North Pine Dam? I haven't been there just fished below the dam..

View Lake Samosnvale / Pine River Access in a larger map

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up fella's and Fitz too for the Map.

I'm not trying to be a trouble maker here, but I just couldn't understand why I have to fork out $100 to have the privilege of fishing this dam where I have a fishing craft that requires a strip of grass with access to launch my craft and I own a SIP. So these requirements have been put in place by SEQ water...I did fill in that survey today and I did ask for more dams to be opened up to the general public, in particular Billies Bay at Wivenhoe and the upper reaches of Somerset Dam.

But just imagine if every dam had the same set up as NPD, it would be expensive to fish em all....

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
Every year I play around with the idea of coughing up a $100 to get into this bit of water. But that goes against everything I've ever believed in regarding access to waterways.
The biggest concern for me is that you are not paying $100 to access a dam at all. You are paying $100 to access a river. Quite a small part of a river at that.  A river that existed long before any dam was there. I hope it gets fixed.
Not in any way knocking PRFMA. They stock fish. The access system is elitist. Not many people would fish the same water everytime they fish. Therefore those that do pay will more likely go there more often than they might otherwise just to get their "money's worth" out of the scheme. After a settling in period the waterway would not  IMHO be under any more pressure from overfishing than most other waterways.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:19:57 AM »
I'm certainly hopeful they will open up the front of the dam to at least paddle craft. Its a shame to have access to the lake restricted to shore use only for the general public.

Currently you dont have to be a member of the PRFMA to purchase a permit, so its not an elitist scheme, any "Joe Blow" can fork out the money and have access - but the numbers are limited by SEQ Water (If you can call 400 permits limited!)

No reason the PRFMA scheme could not continue to work in conjunction with public access at the lower end of the dam, similar to Kilcoy Fishing club having access to Somerset from their own lease of Runges rd at Villeneuve. Still be quite an attractive option, being something like 6-7k upstream of the dam wall.

John, with the Dam at the water level it is currently there is over 10k of waterway access available to permit holders. Probably more water than the other SEQ coastal dams we have access to except Hinze.

Sel, I feel your pain re different access fees to different dams. With Wivanhoe and Somerset access at $75 a year, (Plus $40 odd to be a member of the Kilcoy club to get access at the top end) NPD at $100 a year, Hinze was about $40 I think, Baroon Pocket $50, plus SIPs on top, it used to cost me quite a bit per year before I even wet the boats bum!

I've rationalised it to just North Pine these days, particularly with the Baroon Pocket fee removed. I have seriously thought of not renewing NPD this year, only used it about 6 times last year, (only once on the yak) but I probably will keep it up for at least another year so I have somewhere to paddle the yak when the tides are wrong for me.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
I think with sips alone it would take ages to rebuild the fish stocks after the flood release's. I to agree there are to many diff charges to fish all the dams. I wont be renewing S and Wiv this year, as a pensioner it all gets to much. I would like to see 2 permits 1 for salt and 1 for fresh, this way each gets to spend thier own money. Your fresh permit would cover all dams. Money from fresh permits to be spent on what goes in or on water, what goes on land payed for by local or state government. This would stop most of the money going on administration.

Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
This would stop most of the money going on administration.

Dino
The Qld SIP scheme is designed for fresh water impoundments only.  85% of all monies paid is returned to the stocking groups for the purchase of fingerlings.  15% is spent on administration, not "most".

There are many different boating permit schemes.  NPD would not be accessible by boat if it wasn't for the PRFMA system.  Unfortunately there is no uniformity in the different regulations for dams controlled by SEQWater.  Wivenhoe and Somerset permits provide money to SEQWater, NPD and Hinze Permits provide money for their stocking groups, most others don't need a boating permit system.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:10 AM »
I think with sips alone it would take ages to rebuild the fish stocks after the flood release's. I to agree there are to many diff charges to fish all the dams.
Dino

I recon its time not money that builds up a good fishery. You can pour in a million fish but it won't be all that flash, but a few fish in 15 years can give some spectacular bass fishing. Rat bass are a dime a dozen in lakes, but big brusier females are what makes a trophy bass fishery.

And lets face it, we're only talking Lake Samsonvale here, not the Ord River Dam. It is only 2100 hectares when full. For some perspective around half ther size of Somerset & around 1/5th of Wivenhoe. It took very few bass to make Wivenhoe a trophy bass fishery on international renown, if fact not a bass was stocked in there for 5 years at one stage yet it still keeps producing those big girls.

One simple trend happens around the world with fish stocking... you put alot in, you get smaller, even runt fish. Few fish = bigger fish faster.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
  • Liked: 0
  • Fly Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
Unfortunately the thought of paying $100 to catch Gar, Tilapia and Redclaw put me off applying this year.  Anyone interested in an 11ft Tinny?

Norm