Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Wivenhoe Kayak Convention going forward???  (Read 13569 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Wivenhoe Kayak Convention going forward???
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
Hi All,

I'm at a cross roads regarding the Wivenhoe / Brissy River kayak event/s.

Times they are a changing at Wivenhoe what with new commercial owners of the camp grounds, motorised boats now being permitted and the like. I'm kind of thinking the event has achieved what I set out to achieve and its time to step back.

In my mind, some of the objectives were:
Promote kayak fishing.  :tick Within 6 months of the first Wivenhoe comp there were copy cat comps out there. Some died a natural death, some have stayed but the idea gained legs & kayak fishing was better for it.

Promote the location. When this event kicked off, Wivenhoe was running about 3rd last on the SIP angler preferences. It now runs much further up the list.  :tick With motorised boats being allowed on Wivenhoe now there will be a few more fishing the lake so it should get a few more ticks on the angler preferences.....

Get the facilities used or risk losing them. Ever since the first comp, visitor / camping rates at Logans & Lumley Hill increased immediately and have stayed up. Now there is a commercial operator there, are we running a comp just for them to fill their camp grounds just so they can make a killing for a weekend? It's their circus now I would think.....   :tick

Raise some funds for fish restocking.
:tick Yes it raises a few bucks for more fish each year. But honestly, for the hours myself & others put into the event, I'm better off packing shelves at the supermarket at night and just donating the pay to fish restocking.

I have enjoyed running this event for the past 5 or 6 years now and have made some new friends at the same time.

So, I'm throwing it out there to all past attendees to give me some motivation, some reason to continue this event.  :?) 

I look forward to your thoughts and responses.  :popcorn)

Cheers,

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Re: Wivenhoe Kayak Convention going forward???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
Fitz

one thing is for sure, everyone loves the event.

However the effort that you and the team put towards it leading up to and during is something that I could not do.

I hear and understand everyone of your comments above, especially the one re the commercial opperation of the now camp ground.

One thing is for sure, I will respect and support you in which ever decision that you end up taking.

With sincere thanks for the efforts that you have put in.  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
Does not really matter who gets the camping fees. If the private operators make a killing maybe they can then improve some of the facilities such as more powered sites etc.
 If you feel strongly against the new operators would it be possible to liaise with seq water and others to arrange alternate venue. Maybe sailing club or grand wivenhoe fishing club . Council may be interested in coming on board to assist .
Do you wish to allow powered craft?
I think that you would certainly get a lot more competitors if this were to happen but some of the traditional yakkers may pull out.
If powered craft it would widen the base of potential sponsors.
Whatever happens you certainly can be very proud of what you have achieved in the past.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
I know I haven't actually fished one yet, but was more interested in the river side anyhooo.

What about a river only event, based on Fernvale Showgrounds for camping/briefing/presentations etc???

Would still promote
Yak fishing
Fundraising
Area attractions

AND might even be a lever to have some better access and removal of certain obstacles  ;)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
Fitz ... you have done a tremendous job, and I, like many others, very much appreciate your efforts and what you have done for us all. I don't know how you find the hours in the day to get through all you have to do, so I fully understand if you feel it is now time for you to pull the pin. Having said that, I would be very sadly disappointed to see the comp end. Even if there were bugger all prizes, I think the joy of the event is in meeting so many like minded people and sharing ideas and tips. There are plenty of comps for people in boats, but restricting this to kayaks and canoes is what makes it so much better. ( i would be one of the people pulling out if it was boats as well )

Would you be willing to continue if others were prepared to do more? I think the private operators, if they have any common sense, will see it is in their best interest to help with the event, rather than see it die. Perhaps you could sound them out on their willingness to help? If they reject your approach, perhaps it is time to look at some of the suggestions for other locations.

I would be willing to help out in any way I can, including ( but not limited to ) taking  a few days off work prior to the event and placing myself at your disposal. I am sure if you reach out, through this forum, you could get a lot more involvement from others yakkers too.

So what do you other guys say? Are you willing to put your hands up? Fitz is the closest thing we have to Superman, but even HE needs help and encouragement.

My hand is up .... who's next?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »
I would be upset to see this competition fold Garry, on the other hand I also have a bit of an insight as to how much work you put in. Sometimes it is a thankless task that you have undertaken, but rest assured there are a lot of people out there who are very grateful for what you have achieved. Whatever you choose mate I am behind you & will always be willing to do what I can to help.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
Oh come on Fitz... I get into the placings and I aim for more and you are thinking of the future.

Seriously I understand where you are coming from, the effort you put in year after year is outstanding. The work you put on the days out there from before dawn and way after dusk, I don't know how you do it. Yes its tough to continue on but you love it mate,,, especially when you get behind that mic on the Saturday night, your passion for fishing in the past, for now and into the future just shines out of you.

Yes the dam is changing, will I still fish the dam, you betcha . Will I still camp out there, yes absolutely- money to Wivenhoe dam or to a private enterprise, no difference really, maybe higher prices but that's something I can't change.

As far as the comp goes, still loving it..And heaps of others do too. I was amazed at the turn out this year and if it was to go again 150 will be the number for sure.

Maybe a few kayakers on the side willing to help you might be the answer. I'd be happy to help leading up to the event, for weeks, months, what ever it takes.

The format might need some tinkering to make it easier for those concerned..

But if its all too much for you mate, I totally understand :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
Best and most relaxed comp. I've ever been in, I for one will keep fishing it if continues, happy to pay a bit more in camp fees or entry fees if necessary.It is great to have so many people with a common interest at one venue,
I was introduced to kayak fishing throu this comp and so 4 years on and a few kayaks later I will continue to support it and would be more than happy to put my hand up and help out,
Once again best comp fantastic venue lets try to keep it going,what ever decision is made well done to everybody that has made the past ones so successful.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 137
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
What ever you decide is ok by me I can only amagine the long hours you put in to make it a success and maybe its time to stand back and enjoy your love of fishing,if you give it away ill under stand if you go on then we will support you,I think you have put kayak competions in the spot light
I have never missed a Wivenhoe comp so far and the last one was special to us as I had my son and grandsons with me,Three generation on the water in the comp,well it wont get any better

ps: you are a bit of a legend mate,my son is off to Biloela for Three years he was speaking to the local freshwater guys out there and the first name to come up is Fitz

cheers
       Eric

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
I bought a kayak to fish from "Because" of photos from this and previous years comps so would hate to miss the opportunity of joining in one if I had a chance.

Would be sad to see this go the way of the dodo, for more than my own selfish reasons of wanting to wet a line. It seems to be a genuinely appreciated community effort and even as a newby I would be willing to put in some labour to see it live on.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »
Fitzy, the effort you put into that event is amazing. it is not only the fishing comp, the safety aspects, groups to provide the barbie meals, sponsors etc etc etc. I don't know how you do it. If you decide not to proceed any further with these, I am sure everyone understands and thanks you for the efforts. I reckon you would still get the entrants without prizes or anything else. The camaraderie at these events is awesome. You can fish or not fish ..work hard on the lake or just relax..just an awesome weekend surrounded by people of similar interests.  PLUS..your knowledge of freshwater fishing which you eagerly share with others is to be commended also. 

It is in your court what you want to do. If you decide to have another..about a 5 hour drive down for me now..but I would be there.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »
Fitz

few people talking about going fishing on the second weekend in September

13 / 14 to be exact.

Interested? no bullshit type of show. Just campin and fishing. Might cost you a lure to join.

Will be at Wivenhoe

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
Fitz

few people talking about going fishing on the second weekend in September

13 / 14 to be exact.

Interested? no bullshit type of show. Just campin and fishing. Might cost you a lure to join.

Will be at Wivenhoe
Let us know if you decide to go I thing it would be a great idea I would come along

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
Will probably start a new thread but if you want to book a site for the weekend of September 14 15 2014 go here, I' ve already booked on 36

http://seqlakesideescapes.com.au/

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
Just booked in too Sel. 12, 13 & 14.

Cheers Andrew