Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Small water Yak  (Read 19303 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Small water Yak
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:10:47 PM »
Hey all,

Just seeking a little feedback on this particular Yak and whether this would be suitable to fish from in really skinny water etc. 

Any opinions would be appreciated.  I would obviously be fishing light ie. me a rod and small tackle bag.  And mainly very narrow and shallow waters.  This particular model is 2.7mts made by Current Craft in NZ.  I weigh in around the 75kg mark. 

Regards and Thanks

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Small water Yak
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
Will be ok for skinny water if you don't want to travel far. At 2.7m I think it might be a little bit side to side when paddling.
Don't get that paddle with it, symetrical blades aren't good IMHO.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
Fitz,

Thanks for that  :thumbsup  Have not purchased it yet but being this will be my first kayak I certainly believe it wont be my last either however have to start somewhere.  As for the side to side I imagine it will be accentuated too due my in experience however this would be doing no more than a couple of K's round trip for the water it will see so that will be fine.   Thanks again.

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »
Shorter yaks are harder to paddle.  They are actually slower than a longer yak, same as boats, the waterline length helps speed by reducing surface tension.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
Colin,
Have an older model Minnow myself so may be a bit biased but I love it.
Use it everywhere from skinny water to inshore rustwater.
cheers
Steve.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »
That comes in at just under nine foot long. In tight creeks that could be an advantage. If it tracks really bad just grab an empty 2 litre coke bottle, fill 90% with water (This can be your drinking water) fastened to the back end and drag it behind you on  four feet of  ten or less pound line. (easily snapped if there's a drama) The weight will help arrest the tendency for the rear, therefore the whole thing from swinging as far. Use another piece of stronger line, also tied to the bottle (not the boat)that you can get hold of so you can unfasten yourself from any snags the bottle might catch.
The thing with a bad tracking boat is its not the boats fault, its the paddler. Time and a bit of  practise can see you paddle that  straighter the more you use it. As Fitz said long distances could be a pain. If you try and get anywhere fast it will drive you insane and you will sell it within a month. Paddle it slowly, it will be a lot easier to control. Enjoy.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
Thanks John,

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup I could imagine it would be a little bit of a pain over the longer distance so I have bowed out of the bidding war on it.  Was not sure what something like that was worth so might just save a few pennies and go for something a little larger and deal with the issues that it presents in tight waters.  I can only forsee it coming to a point where I will want a bigger one for larger bodies of water and I will be up for more $$$.  So the hunt begins for that elusive kayak that tracks straight, goes fast, is stable, turns on a dime and hopefully makes me coffee in the morning......hahahaha.  Yeah right I will just settle for something around the 3.5 - 4.0 mt mark and deal with it.  Kinda gets me thinking I should design a Kayak that extends from around 2.7mts out to 4.5 mts mmmmmm na I'm not that smart.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback it has certainly helped  :D

Regards
Colin Linton

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
kayak that tracks straight, goes fast, is stable, turns on a dime
The "goes fast" bit highlights the biggest misconception people have about kayaks and particularly fishing from one. You will be going fishing primarily. You will not be entering a race. You really need a kayak that is EFFICIENT  to paddle rather than fast. :tick Grant Kenny might argue the point.
Just my two penn'orth.
Cheers John.
Ps By the way I really liked the look of the lines of that boat for what your initial intended use was.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
Thanks John,

I appreciate the feedback  :thumbsup  I too liked the look of it as well!!

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:51 AM »
The "goes fast" bit highlights the biggest misconception people have about kayaks and particularly fishing from one. You will be going fishing primarily. You will not be entering a race. You really need a kayak that is EFFICIENT  to paddle rather than fast. :tick Grant Kenny might argue the point.
Just my two penn'orth.
Cheers John.

Dunno about Grant Kenny, but I'll argue the point. If someone was to show to do a say the Savages to Burtons section, or worse the Burtons > Kholo run on the Brissy River in a 9 foot yak, I'd be telling them I'm not waiting for them, their work is going to be cut out for them to get any time for fishing.

Yep there are other factors, but short boats are just not the best for any sort of distance IMHO. I'm happy to be proven otherwise however

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
In my little bit about efficient rather than fast I never mentioned length. I was talking about kayaks in general. I had already said earlier:

As Fitz said long distances could be a pain. If you try and get anywhere fast it will drive you insane and you will sell it within a month.

This explains better what I was trying to point out.From guillemot kayaks:

How fast is your boat? Do you know? Does the question even make sense? Isn't any boat going to go faster if you apply more power to making it move? What people really should ask is" "how efficient is your boat?"

What efficiency means is that for a certain amount of energy applied to making the boat move, you will get a certain amount of motion. A more efficient boat will move more with less effort. This could mean that for a given speed a more efficient boat will require less effort, or for a given effort, a more efficient boat will move faster.

An olympic class racing kayak is "fast". Problem is, if 99% of us ever used one and  stopped and put down their paddle to cast a line they would've already fallen out of the boat.
Cheers John.