Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Kayaks - How cheap is too cheap ?  (Read 30119 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Kayaks - How cheap is too cheap ?
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
Ive been following a few articles about small water kayaks and have decided to ditch the tinny and the extra unwanted baggage that allways insists on comming along, for a kayak. I am looking at a few different models including some OK's but was warned that either way spending too little or too much on a yak can be a bad thing ( too cheap, bad quality or faults) ( too expensive, well .. lets not bother my wallet isnt that big )

Is there anywhere to look at Ocean Kayak prices in actuall aussie dollars ? was looking at the smaller fishing sit on top yaks.

sorry for the repetitive nature of this post as others have posted similar questions.

Steve

Ocean kayak Scrambler 11

Professional yob

Donut King

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: How cheap is too cheap ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »
Its rare to see prices posted, but a bigger ocean kayak, depending on model, you'd be looking at 1500 - 2000.
Vikings are a little cheaper, you'd be at 1300 plus
Hobbies fit in to your dont go there bracket
Anaconda believe it or not have some interesting looking yaks out in there Seak range, not heard to much feedback on them though.
I like the Extreme kayaks as well.
Lots of other brands around, similar prices, the market is not very competitive. (After all most yaks only have a 100-150 bucks worth of plastic in them plus the cost of running the roto mould for a few hours)

Myself I lust after a Prowler 13 (Ocean kayak).

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:06 AM »
I have heard a few good things about Ocean Kayaks and they seem to be a pretty good standard but i only require something say the size of a venus something small and i was warned about vikings ( for some reason ) and some of the BCF brands. i suppose i should get something half decent for around the $1100 mark.

Thanks Binder

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »
Mate, try sending Fitz a PM.  He knows most of the retail prices off the top of his head, or he'll be able to put you onto your nearest Ocean Kayak or Old Town dealer.  I'm having a very serious love affair with my new sit in,

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:49:27 AM »
Steve

Try this link for the Recommended retail prices for Ocean Kayak,
http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=sectionView&dId=1&&id=234&eId=10&actual_dId=79&sId=c2bce3f1aa7e7328231228b780223064

As I said these are the retail, maybe when it's time for you to buy a kayak you might be able to do a deal with the store you choose.

Here's a link to all the dealers of Ocean Kayak,
http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au/FindaDealer/tabid/44/Default.aspx#selectList

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:50:51 AM »
and i was warned about vikings ( for some reason ) and some of the BCF brands.
Steve like everything else you have also to be wary of brand bias, and a bit like the old Holden/Ford which is better arguments.

There are many happy users of all brands out there, and too my mind hard to find fault with Viking even though I no longer own one [upgraded to longer other brand yak] had one for a couple of years and is still being used by a 100kgs mate .... they are are Aussie made, solidly made and great warranty and many contented owners, and feel this may apply to other brands as well except the Aus made bit.

Most important thing is get your body in one for a test paddle mate and most yakkers will lend a boat if a dealer cannot oblige.

And the plastic boats are also so durable, second hand is also a good option, and as an example I bought one for my wife with paddle, and seat for 50% off new retail, with bottom of hull scratches being the only difference to a new one off the shelf.

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with the vikings.

Chasing a small water yak that has some glide and can be used elsewhere have a look at the espri

best of getting your butt into a few but and seeing what suits you

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
got a few test runs comming up will see how they go

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
One thing is for sure, whichever kayak you end up choosing you will be happy with. They can all do the job and they all have different strengths and limitations and you will adapt to the kayak you end up buying.
As a general rule the shorter you go the more manoeuvrable and cheaper the kayak will be but the less glide it will have.  If you plan on fishing anywhere that gets a bit choppy or has a decent current you may wish to go for an all-rounder kayak. As somebody already mentioned a prowler 13 or tarpon 120 something similar would fit the bill.
There are literally dozens of kayaks to choose from and there are a couple of kayak fishing forums have truck loads of info if your keen to do a bit more research. As I understand it Ocean Kayaks are good quality but may be a little more expensive than some other brands.
Happy hunting.  :)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
Yes im sure the right one will pop up soon but am seriously concidering a venus 11, I wont be really fishing anywhere fast flowing and hey im in no rush to get to a spot fishing is about relaxing in the first place   :thumbsup

But thanks for the info

Steve

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »
Firstly, if anyone isnt aware, I work for BLA which is the Oz Distibutor of Johnson Outdoors World products that includes Ocean Kayak.

That said, I've had a Venus11 for some time as a skinny water kayak & have loved it. Glides well for an 11 foot kayak, turns well, can turn by leaning, but the biggie for me is the light weight (under 20kg). Getting into remove places I often go 100 meters or more from car to water, through paddocks, under fences and over rocks/logs. The Venus has limitations in carrying capacity and leg length, but if you're not a big bloke you'll be fine. The RRP is $1199 for all colors except camo which is $50 dearer. I did an article on how I fitted mine up, which led to the Venus11 Angler version, might have it on file here somewhere.

A new model out is the Scrambler 11. This is actually closer to 12 foot long so is a bit longer than the Venus11. The Scrambler is a major upgrade of the previous Scrambler variants with a higher & wider seat area, rod holders & solid handles. Comes standard with comfort seat, 2 x flush mount rod holders, bucket hatch, transducer scupper and has inserts to fit, anchor running rig, rear well cover and Scotty/Cannon rod holder. Also is Humminbird ready and can have front hatch fitted. Sorry to carry on with product info, just trying to give another option as the Scramber 11 is cheeper than the Venus11 at $999 RRP (1049 for camo)

There's a stack of different kayaks out there. A longer kayak is generally a faster kayak, but harder to turn. Once you get over around 13 feet a rudder is probably handy as some just don't want to turn well. That's not a criticism, rather the sign of a good kayak design is one that tracks straight but the length can make it harder to turn, especially if its windy.

Some kayak be different weight for same size/capabilities. Light can be good for loading/carrying but maybe not quite as tough. Others can be just too heavy for what is needed (read too much plastic).
Design & adaptability should be considered. Think about what accessories you might want to fit & how you're going to fit them.

For skinny water kayaks, I'm starting to lean towards sit-in kayaks. Just finding they can carry more gear, lower to the water so I can get in under trees better and tend to draw less water; better for gliding down rapids. Sit ins tend to be a touch quicker than SOTs; apples for apples IMHO. I imported Vapor 12XT recently but sold it. Am leaning towards a Dirigo 12 which I've had a few paddles of now & like it.  A bit dearer than SOTs but I recon a better option for my prefered fishing.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Kayaks - How cheap is too cheap ?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
I recently bought a Vapour 12XT ::) and I really like the sit-in designs.  I'm a large bloke, and the Vapour has about 10" of extra cockpit opening than the Dirigo, which is what I liked about it.  Long legs can be hard to get into a sit-in.  In tight water, my rod goes up the centre, and doesn't get in the way or hook up on overhanging branches.  It seems to glide over shallow water a bit better too, I don't think it has as much draft as a sit on.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »
Sounds like the scrambler 11 is a bit of a winner but its still a toss up still preffering the venus the extra $ isnt a problem at all and ive always had a bit of a phobia of sit in yaks i have no clue why maybe just because i havent used them as much.

Steve

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 52
  • Liked: 2
  • fish restocker
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »
I just bought my self a viking ozzy second hand of ebay for 300 bucks, its my first yak as  i already have 2 boats and wanted a yak to fish the upper reaches and yak only dams. Being a short arse it suits me pretty good for the limited purposes i need it for.I did look at the more expensive yaks but started to get away from what i wanted it for. keep an eye out there are bargains out there

Cheers

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
Just to keep anyone interested updated on this article i just picked up my new scrambler 11 (camo) today from southport and went for a bit of a paddle down the braodwater and i love it  :thumbsup

Steve