Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mail order  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Mail order
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
As part of my preparations leading up the opening of Bass 2013 I just received my little order from Tackle Wharehouse in the US. I got myself a line cutter called the Snip made by the Boomerang tool company of all things. Plus 4 extras for some mates, price was US about $12. Also some new Rapala lures and 300yards of Suffix 832 10lb. That last item was only $36. The lures were about $8 each. Of course the current Au dollar will mess with that a bit and cartage was $37 fully insured. Why are things so much more expensive here??
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 339
  • -Receive: 135
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
Re: Mail order
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
Did the same for years and often pondered that question myself.
By the time import taxes are added and a profit margin is included I suppose that brings the price up.
I still use the imported ones occasionally but I have replaced most of my lures with locally made lures (heaps of good makers out there)
I don't have a motza to spend on lures and I can get more from overseas for my money; it was doing my head in by sending my business outside of Australia and not spending it locally (my opinion only).

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
You're right Jason. It hasn't actually done my head in but I have plenty of locally made lures so a few from OS won't kill any one. The fact is that that Boomerang line cutter is not available in Australia as far as I could see. It looked great so I bought one then a few mates wanted one too so I ended up importing 5. The lures are also not available here as far as I can tell, however Last time I was in the US I saw Jitterbugs for $7, they normally sell here for anything up to $20, surely there's not that much import duty.
I like to support my local tackle store and have put a LOT of dollars over the counter there. I won't buy rods on line because I like to handle them before I shell out.
John

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »
Same boat as Jason, used to buy allot online from OS but now I realised we all have to support the locals even if its just a little.

If you look hard enough some of the lures Aussies make can be quite remarkable

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
Add to the import duties etc, there's also 10% GST, which helps pay Aussie bills, build roads, employ people etc. overseas retailers don't have to charge or pay Aussie GST so they don't help Aussie economy, jobs, infrastructure, schools, hospitals etc...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
The problem appears to be that either the importers or retailers are making excessive mark ups on their products.
Another problem is that you are unable to purchase a lot of items here in Au .
 Could someone please explain how I can purchase at retail prices in USA a 24 volt 70lb thrust transom mount minnkota traxis with maximiser for $560 landed in Australia.
You do have to shop around for freight prices with some retailers charging up to $1000 but I went through Pitney Bowles and the freight was only $69au and the motor arrived within a fortnight.
There is no duty on leccys and even if I had to pay GST that would only add $56 to the price.
Ok it is going to cost me $140 to send it back for a warranty repair if it packs it in within 2 years but even then I will be way in front and the delay will be probably around the same time as getting it repaired in au with there being around a month turnaround for repairs here.
 Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
I have a friend in the US who is selling his holiday house at the moment.  Three bedroom, 2 acres, 1 mile from a ramp at the Lake Of The Ozarks.  $74,000.  His annual income is high, around $50k.  People who work in shops are on minimum wage which is around $7 per hour.  Local tackle stores here are paying around $1000 a week rent and 10% Gst and huge electricity costs and high tax rates and high wages and high local freight costs and higher interests rates.  I suppose we should expect them to operate at a loss so we can have cheaper tackle.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
Support your local businesses, cause if you don't , when you do need them they'll be gone.

Not just tackle shops either. Fruit n veg, meat , news agents...etc....

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:05:13 PM »
The problem appears to be that either the importers or retailers are making excessive mark ups on their products.
Another problem is that you are unable to purchase a lot of items here in Au .
 Could someone please explain how I can purchase at retail prices in USA a 24 volt 70lb thrust transom mount minnkota traxis with maximiser for $560 landed in Australia.
You do have to shop around for freight prices with some retailers charging up to $1000 but I went through Pitney Bowles and the freight was only $69au and the motor arrived within a fortnight.
There is no duty on leccys and even if I had to pay GST that would only add $56 to the price.
Ok it is going to cost me $140 to send it back for a warranty repair if it packs it in within 2 years but even then I will be way in front and the delay will be probably around the same time as getting it repaired in au with there being around a month turnaround for repairs here.
 Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

Would you complain about reduced pension & increased costs of living if everyone else did their shopping overseas & we ended up with thousands less folks working to pay taxes for it & those unemployed sucking up dole money .... If you're content with that then all is well.

I forgot to mention that Australian businesses have to also pay carbon tax, C Tick approval for all electronic/electrical equipment which the seppos don't. Free trade is not free trade....

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
I wish the taxes I payed were like the SIP where I could tick where the money go....

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
I wish the taxes I payed were like the SIP where I could tick where the money go....
We have no idea where the money goes; a black hole is the best we can hope for.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »
Support your local businesses, cause if you don't , when you do need them they'll be gone.

Not just tackle shops either. Fruit n veg, meat , news agents...etc....
I actually do get fruit n veg, meat, news locally. The freight costs from the US were killing me and the vege's were all buggered.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
How many local lures are stocked in your local tackle shop .? F all .  If they stopped importing and stocked only locall products they would go broke . It's simple business

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
I have a friend in the US who is selling his holiday house at the moment.  Three bedroom, 2 acres, 1 mile from a ramp at the Lake Of The Ozarks.  $74,000.  His annual income is high, around $50k.  People who work in shops are on minimum wage which is around $7 per hour.  Local tackle stores here are paying around $1000 a week rent and 10% Gst and huge electricity costs and high tax rates and high wages and high local freight costs and higher interests rates.  I suppose we should expect them to operate at a loss so we can have cheaper tackle.
Hmm OK 50K is not high for the US, cops in NYC are getting close to that. Minimum wage is around $7 true sometimes less, which why you have to tip everyone. Real estate in the US is currently at an all time low level. I saw some great homes on acreage that could be bought very cheaply by our standards last time I was there. Rent for local tackle stores vary depending on where they are, the 10% gst is claimed back if it's a business expenditure, wages are often casual in that industry, freight costs also vary and are often covered by the supplier. Interest rates? Well we just saw that drop substantially, and any business that has trouble servicing its loan either has to make cuts or find a better loan provider. No one is really suggesting that Australian Tackle shops should go broke so we can get cheaper tackle... that's absurd. So when a lure costs $7 in the US and up to $20 here, who is making all the money?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:53:19 PM »
I don't know, but I do know if you guys keep buying all you gear overseas we won't have Tackleshops here and then we'll all be able to bitch about the cause of that.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events