Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Why do it?  (Read 11094 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Why do it?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »
I used to not share where i was fishing in reports but truth is if i have a bass on private property so it doesnt matter a sqwat, I just havent put a proper report up in ages been too busy or the person i fish with does one anyway. Its either the albert river or Hinze dam for me sometimes i cant resist fly fishing for yella's below moogerah dam wall and i kicked up a stink about my own post but had my head pulled into line I mean its no real secret and often see kids catching their first fish there  :youbeauty

Steve

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
I mean its no real secret and often see kids catching their first fish there  :youbeauty

Steve

Top stuff Steve. You just nailed it in one. The folks who don't want to share would have every kid going doomed to a life of catching fish on play station. Every spot is someone's honey hole and none of us are to the first or last ot fish somewhere.

Well spoken BR65.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »
A few questions here – Why post locations, why not, why post reports at all and how big is your dick?

First last first...big enough ;)

Second last...There is nothing wrong with seeking a pat on the back for achieving something noteworthy.  We’re social animals, seeking affirmation and giving applause for a job well done is just some of the glue that binds as a species together.  Not that being the only reason, putting up a report is simply a good way to open a conversation.  Where a simple conversation started in a fishing forum leads to is anyone’s guess but could be anywhere.  I have a few extra mates now that started from something similar. 

Third last...personal choice but regardless of who knows what about where, when and why if someone has taken the time to earn that knowledge by doing the hard yards there is some ownership associated with it.  Therefore it’s up to the individual to decide on what they do with that information and there should be no pressure or expectation from anyone else to do anything else. 

First last...Some fella by the name of Luke wrote this a few years back.  Phrases it nicely I think
"Give to other people, and you will receive. You will be given much. It will be poured into your hands--more than you can hold. You will be given so much that it will spill into your lap. The way you give to other people is the way God (or others) will give to you." :)

A couple of other observations

There’s no secret spots!!!!????  Sorry fellas that’s cr@p, least ways in this neck of the woods where there's on average only one person every 10sq ks and most sitting in townsites.  I got a dozen of them, by secret it simply means that the effort involved to get to them makes them off limits to most who would othewrwise have a look.  If what they can produce at certain times of the year was more widely known they’d be hammered harder no doubt.

People are inherently lazy; being time poor when it comes to recreational pursuits is one reason.  Cutting to the chase by having a location pointed out is one way to make the best use of valuable time for those who count the worth of their experiences solely on a fish count.  One way you can provide an alternative for those is by not focussing on a location exclusively, rather the landscape/climatic scenarios that go to make a spot worth fishing in the first place.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Some great comments here guys all of which have their merit. I can understand Gerard's comments but on the other side of the coin since really having a good crack at the sweetwater this season I have been introduced to some awesome selfless people one that comes to mind is Dave Brace. Dave brings a smile to my face at his enthusiasm and attitude that "life is too short" to bitch about secret spots - besides you don't have to reveal "all" your spots. I have been introduced to a couple of other spots by other people and at their request have kept them quiet. I think if someone sees that you have done your own hard yards to find places your not likely to blabber it in circles that don't share the same "philosophies" namely respect for others and the enviroment. Regarding spots getting fished out and already touched on by "today's hotspot may not be tomorrow's" each spot takes a while to suss out where one may catch a heap another may struggle to raise a scale. I have been introduced to a spot by a hell of a nice guy who catches an average of 15 fish in a session - the two times I've been there I've only caught 3 each time - same spot different knowledge. Lastly I want to thank the countless members who share their passion and spots you are awesome. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
As usual Dick you have cut through the fat the heart of the matter. Good thoughts mate but I'll pass on the dick measuring thing. It's not just "secret" spots it's also about the sharing of information, about what's working and often why it isn't. Merry Christmas to you and all you sail with.
JD

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
Merry Christmas to you and all you sail with.

Dog says woof!! :thanks

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
Yeh mate, pat on the head from me.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
I just found this topic,

I helped an angler asking questions on another Aussy Bass Forum about help with finding Bass.

I replied to look in the UBD  at all bridges and fish up to the Dam wall legal area.

Well the Bass Moderator found within his powers I was giving to much info away and deleted all my reply to this new angler.................What a dip stick he was and now know why I just don't bother helping people now because it gets edited.

Fitzy's site is full of nothing but help  :thumbsup  these clicky groups think they have found the Holy Grail of every Bass location in Australia........How wrong they are !  :thumbdown

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
G'Day Tony,

Thanks for the comments. A shame that some folks just don't get it about the benfits of sharing. That's up to them I guess.... However this site WILL continue to share info. I've been blessed with kind people over the years showing me many out-of-the-way spots, without that charity I'd be much poorer off; many thanks to them. In fact I was shown a nice spot yesterday on a map & found it today & will be sharing the info with everyone.

At days end, I'm determined to have every publicly accessible sweetwater location in Australia on here, so that others can learn more about our great country, especially the up & coming kids who want to go catch a bass, cod, barra, yellowbelly, sooty etc etc....

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

At days end, I'm determined to have every publicly accessible sweetwater location in Australia on here, so that others can learn more about our great country, especially the up & coming kids who want to go catch a bass, cod, barra, yellowbelly, sooty etc etc....

Cheers,

fitzy..

Been thinking about this myself Fitz.

Along the lines of share the love and the "Fluro Pink Ribbon" along BV Hwy.   Could this be the new way? A aussie standard, see the fluro know its good to go. And legal.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Fresh water
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
I missed most of this for I was away fishing!
There are some interesting points, I still personally feel that a web site that promotes catch and release / sustainable fishing shouldn’t name exact spots. By all means do trip reports and tell us how you caught them, when and all the details you want just don’t tell every man and his keeper net where to go. Example – Say I went fishing in the Brisbane river and got a nice lot and had the time / patience to do a report I would probably say I fished in the Brisbane but I wouldn’t say go down XXXX rd and turn left at the burned out car etc. etc. Bass are extremely slow growing and live in very specific places so I reckon we should look after them. Without wanting to start world war ,3 I think Bass should be totally protected anyway.

Gerard.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
Has someone mentioned your little place of paradise?

Lol. No they didn’t actually…. I normally hang on the AustBass forum but like to pop over here every now and then to see what’s going on. I just couldn’t get my head around how people tell people exactly how to get to spots.. 

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
G'Day Tony,

I've been blessed with kind people over the years showing me many out-of-the-way spots, without that charity I'd be much poorer off; many thanks to them. In fact I was shown a nice spot yesterday on a map & found it today & will be sharing the info with everyone.

fitzy..

I think you make a good point here, the people showed you. You sound like to good guy and to be in your position with this site I'm sure you are. So if people like you (in person, not on the internet) they will help. Is the person who showed you this nice spot on the map happy with you telling 100 or 1000's of other people where it is?

Gerard.   

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
Why do people put up reports at all? Seriously - is there something deep down in a fisho that makes us want to share our catch, prove our piscartorial prowess to our peers? Some of the best fishos I know, or know of, dont ever report - they dont need the "nice ones"and "well done". Conundrum right there.....
This popped up not so long a go elsewhere, specifically naming locations, and that location being pillaged by, in this instance, professional netters.
Its a common belief that there are a lot of people, anglers, danglers, shamatures, and professionals, that troll forums speciffically looking at reports .... I often wonder at the numbers of guests logged on at any one time... Its not just fishing forums, bragging on social media sites (AKA Face Book), is also rich pickings for the lazy, the greedy and the hungry  - Ive seen it first hand a couple of time recently.
Personally, I will turn off from a net report or forum post if the pictures posted have the background  blacked out, I find that so annoying/insulting, I couldnt be bothered reading or taking in the thread, no matter how good the fish or fishing session.
I enjoy reports with pictures that show fish and background, the general area fished, and the general technique used, I dont need to know the ins and outs of a cats bum, I do appreciate those who go into finite detail including where and how they fished, but it doesnt mean I will head off to plunder their spot tomorrow morning, it just inspires me to find my own spots.
In saying that, one day Im going to fish Heart attack Hill, and try a pie....
In the end, I am convinced there are no secret spots, my, your, every ones honey hole has been, or is being, fished by Mr John Smith, he can use Google earth, has the gumption to explore, and is keen enough to have a crack at remote water.
Other words ol mate, its the way of the world, if you dont like it, you dont report your trips on the net
Merry Christmas to you
Brian

I think you nailed it all right on the head.
I love reading about fishing and hopefully learning something new that's why I read forums. I also think finding secret spots is pretty hard if not impossible there is all ways someone just as keen as you! And yes with the internet people can use Google E to find spots, so my point is why paste it every where for people like to white bucket brigade to easily read it and use it?
As an example to secret spots (or not secret) I was fishing the Clarence over the break. We drove 2 hours (1/2 hour on dirt) last few km's is hard core 4fwd, hiked up river 4km had to swim across a few times because of cliffs etc. and here I am thinking surly no ones fished here for ages and i come across some freshish foot prints in the sand! I know this place got fished by Kayakers a little (i have) but never people land based.

Gerard.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Lol. No they didn’t actually…. I normally hang on the AustBass forum but like to pop over here every now and then to see what’s going on. I just couldn’t get my head around how people tell people exactly how to get to spots..

I normally hang on the AustBass forum

Not wanting tyo start anything but no wI understand your point of view.

Be kind and tell everyone I said hello. Even in the secret mens business section hidden part. Or are you not in the "in" group.

You will be happy to know I have been laying "Pink Fluro Ribbon Tape" anywhere that I have been fishing lately. If you come across any please be kind enough and letme know what you think about this secret special spot next to the burnt out falcon

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events