Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: nuby  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrum River
nuby
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Hi everyone, just registered to the site so still fumbling my way through. Looking forward to getting up to speed with all the interesting post titles that have caught my eye. I signed up thanks to a Yak fisho who dropped into my shop when he was fishing the Boyne River chasing Barra. If ya out there..hi I made it..lol.
 :youbeauty

John

Childers Fishing Camping & Homebrew

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: nuby
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Onya matey,
Welcome to the site.
JD

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
G'Day John,

Welcome aboard.  :youbeauty Look forward to hearing some reports from your neck of the woods.

What is your shop by the way? Give it a plug mate........

Cheers,

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
thanks for the welcome fellas. I own Childers Fishing Camping & Homebrew. It's a small store but we are growing it. at the mo we stock halco hamma, sneaky scorpions, poltergiest,RMGs, reidy's B52s and little lucifers, Thready Buster (aussie not on ya list) Bassman spinnerbaits, small range of gulp, berkley frenzy. cultiva tango dancers and Tropic Angler hard bodys. I am trying to get some Richo's lures (another aussie success) in and some Rapalas. I try to stockwhat lures are recommended by customers and what lures i have used. we also stock the pure fishing range abu, ugly stik, fleuger and Berkley and the Wilsons range. I am in the process of getting a Rapala freetime account which will give me access to Okuma and Silstar plus storm lures and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Next year Pure fishing take over Penn from JW, so I'll have access to the Penn range of rod n reels. being a small store we can't stock every rod, reel n lure but we can order them. When we order rods n reels we discount the price below RRP as it helps us stay afloat. We do have other things like owner trebles and split rings but i have to pick what's selling. We stock Platypus lines in the classic and super 100 and bionic braid. I also have Power Pro braid. I'm biased of course but it's a good shop.  A bit like an old fashioned trading post where people just drop in for a chat and to find out what's biting, what's the best grog to make and where to go camping. I've only been here (childers area) for a year and in the shop for three months so my personal experiences here are limited. I went out last weekend and we ended up with a noahs feed two blue salmon, two brim and two mudies all line caught. there's a story to that trip which I'll post later. I have to take the dogs for a walk and get to the shop, so thanks again and I'll catch ya in the next post. Thanks for the plug  Fitzy
John
 :)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
Welcome John,
I normally by-pass Childers by going through Biggenden on my way to Awoonga, I'll have to make the detour next trip.  Good to see you aboard. :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
Welcome to sweetwater John. Just what I need another tackle store on my way north ::)
Good luck with it mate, look foward to your reports.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Thanks fellas..you can never have enough tackle stores on a long journey..lol. If ya do drop in any feed back on the store even constructive critism is welcome. It's the only way forward. I've never owned a store before so this is a massive learning curve.
 :thanks

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »
do drop in any feed back on the store even constructive critism is welcome. It's the only way forward.
welcome on-board John.
I'm just down the road at Bargara, will call in next time through your town.
Sounds like your positive attitude will make the shop a goer, not to mention the fact that you've managed to combined the 3 essentials of life into, one stop shopping ....... fishing,camping and home-brew  :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
Hi dugout, I have a daughter who lives in Bagara, nice place. I'd love to say the shop combination was my idea but it was already here. I just couldn't help buy it when it was for sale. The down side was selling my rig (formosa 520 CC)to pay for it! It's tough to get out on the water too. I never used to fish weekends or holidays but i have no choice at the mo. There's some good fishing to be had around here. One rumour..and it is that at the mo is of jungle perch being caught?? I've had two blokes tell me about em in different locations. I hope the rumour is true. I have sent scouts out finding these streams..almost appache style..I think that's what they're doing? They were on all fours in the long grass..looking for tracks..i'm sure they said tracks..ey?  :o

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
G'day John,

Welcome to SW mate. I dropped into your shop back in March after hitting the Boyne and had a good yak to ya chasing another rod as you looked over me boat.

Good to see you finding your way around the sight!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. If I have you right you were chasing an ATC hardstick? I haven't got them in but i do have a couple of wilson  8kg  live fibre territory barra spins sticks..nice rods. drop in again when your up our way, just for a chat.
John

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:56:10 AM »
Thanks for the plug  Fitzy
John
 :)

No problem John.  :thumbsup

We look forward to you keep us up to date on how the fish are biting at the Duckpond, Paradise Dam, Burrum, Burnett etc mate. 

I updated your signature (appears at the bottom of each post you make) to include your shop name  :tick

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
no worries fitzy. Paradise isn't fished too hard from the locals here. the ones that do venture there complain about the catfish. There are Barra, Bass, Spangled Perch and Yellas in there. It’s difficult to get a handle on the place. I have seen pictures of Sleepy cod being caught there. Reports are coming through that the floods have brought redclaw there? Not seen any so cannot confirm but locals are saying they are in most creeks around here now? If I were to fish here I’d put in at Mingo Crossing and make my way down. Apparently there are a lot of rocks and fallen trees in here so be careful if boating. Paradise is not on the SIP list so no ticket required. I’d love to stock this place but I think someone has beaten me to it. I just wish they would hurry up! Any decent catches i hear about I'll post.
The duck pond as you guys know is mainly a Bass fishery. It has been fishing well although the past week or two some fishos have drawn a douhnut. There's good Bass here. My mate caught a bass of 48cms on a spinnerbait. I had a cheapo premium in purple and got two hits. my mate (Harry) had a Bassman with an orange skirt (i'll check the colour but think it's a #9 or 27 1/2oz) and cleaned up. There are catfish here too, gar and the pesky barred grunter. We've also caught sleepy cod here. I've not heard of a Barra being caught but Harry has been busted up by something big. Another local reckons there are Barra in there? Tango dancers he reckons are the go for them.
There are numerous creeks around the place that hold silver perch. stockyard creek being one. Degilboy creek is another which holds bass and yellas as does the river in apple tree creek (i need to find out more about this one). The gregory also holds bass, silvers and spangles. Getting reports from people fishing these creeks is nearly impossible they are well kept secrets. to fish em you need to find the holes and billabongs. Here's a neat trick not everyone knows of (i didn't). Strike pro make a lure called the micro vibe. It's 25mm long. These are fished under a float to catch silver perch. One of our customers is a fish breeder and he swears that the micro vibe fished under a float and the halco sneaky scorpions (35mm fished normal fashion) are dynamite on silvers?
The burrum, isis and gregory rivers (salt) have been fishing very well. The couple I met on the boat ramp (boat ramp mishap) told me they had trolled up 35 GT's (40cm mark) on green blades, all released. The following day another mate of mine caught 8, two blue salmon and a 70cm Threadfin (King Salmon up here) plus 8 Brim. Big Prawns last week are moving up the rivers as are the fish that feed on em. It's been a very good Barra season here. Jacks too have been very active although this cool weather will slow them down. Jacks are a chance all year round. Winter whiting are firing with gulp 6 inch worms in new penny cut to suit your hook size being the number one bait. switch from yabbies or squid to get them turned on. Mackerel are also a chance all types. School and spotted can be caught from the beach at woodgate when they are on. Queenfish up to 70cm have also made more than the odd appearance as have cod and Flathead. Mud crabs continue to amaze everyone. There are heaps of em. Another report from a customer who says he caught 20 legal bucks, kept 8 I think he said? Not much from the Burnett. There have been reports of very big Barra caught at the mouth and some good Grunter and Salmon too. Skyringville is a good spot for yaks to explore. It’s not easy for baots to get at since it was cut off from the main river. But there’s still good fish to be caught in there.
If ya can get out before the weekend. Rain and cold weather set to move in Saturday arvo and stay til Wednesday. That much rain will kill off the fishing. The up side is it’ll kick off all the bait, prawns and muddies..again.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. If I have you right you were chasing an ATC hardstick? I haven't got them in but i do have a couple of wilson  8kg  live fibre territory barra spins sticks..nice rods. drop in again when your up our way, just for a chat.
John

Smack on the money John, you have a bloody good memory!

I'll call in for sure again next time I'm up that way and grab a few things, last trip I was on a bender after being stitched $6000 from a builder who I was contacting to, went arse up, so things were real tight. All for the better though. I'm off the tools contracting and I've got meself a new career, no chasing money, no invoicing, no worries.

I was thinking come September when it warms up again having another Meet & Greet at Mondy, Burrum or Lenthals like I organised for SW members a couple of years back, keep it in mind!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
hi Dave, top idea. I'll be in that. I'll bring a gazebo and some cooking stuff and a bit of home brew for ya to try! I've only ever fished mondy once. got nothing but that's what happens ey? When I left i saw all the boats heading up river so i followed em. Got to see a bit more of the dam and better looking spots.
I'm an old snapper fisho..well i used to fish dams/rivers many years ago mainly using floats. I've recently got into the lures but am boatless at the mo. I've had to knock back a sesh on the burrum tomorrow due to work. bit of a bugger the guy i go with used to write for bush n beach..he's a decent fisho. Mad as a cut snake but that's ok i'm easy going so it balances out. Hey, I said to Linda remember the guy who was looking for that ATC..and she said..yeah that's the guy who had that boat you liked..I was dumb struck..women do listen..lol.
what dya think of okuma? I'm getting some of their cheaper baitrunners to check out what they are like. I've got the barra side sorted. Now i'm concentrating on bass equipment. I think I'll be looking at Abu and fleuger for bass reels..well until i find out more about the okuma stuff. they give a lifetime warranty so?? Next year if we are still going I'm hoping to have enough money to invest in yaks from BLA.
 Although deep down I'd love a hobie.. to go with my Hornet..jeez I'm dreaming again.
Good luck with the new career. What are ya up to?
cheers good to catch up again.  :thumbsup

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events