Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fish lifts.  (Read 12320 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
Re: Fish lifts.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
Not really off topic, barriers being a contributor to the near extinction of Southern Jungle Perch.
Crying shame that this project is in limbo when so much funding is wasted on other things.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »
So it wouldnt be crazy to say that stocking jungle perch if available would be futile with barriers and weirs in place. I would and THAT is a crying shame. We as people have been more worried about stocking for our own benifits than a species survivals sake.

There are so many grey areas when it comes to fish stocking, permits, rules and classifications.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 05:36:20 AM »
I wonder how many bass,yellas,silvers, barcoo grunter,sootys and murray cod escape  from the fishing park into the river?
They have previously been named as the source of the occasional barra being caught in the logan.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
So it wouldnt be crazy to say that stocking jungle perch if available would be futile with barriers and weirs in place.

There are so many grey areas when it comes to fish stocking, permits, rules and classifications.

With the current mindset, without those barriers etc in place, we wont be allowed to stock them. The permits to stock are only given for waters above man made barriers, be it weirs or dams. No Weirs or Dams, no permit to stock.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:33:36 AM »
Your joking not even for a recovery plan ? ! 

Eco park has lost fish down into the albert before and should not have been made so close the the albert river i think. i have heard of barra being caught near oxenford i think the name of the place was.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
The biodiversity nazis would agree Steve, but with habitat/stream degradation, barriers etc. even with a massive long term effort not likely to see anything resembling former glory. Personally I dont think yellas and silvers should be stocked east of the divide but they are allowed and people want them stocked. What about Toga or Lungfish neither are endemic to the SEQ streams that now have viable breeding populations ?. You said previously that Bass do little harm outside of their natural range what about the in the streams which hold remnant populations of MRC which had no bass at all prior to stocking ? The questions and permutations are endless, one thing that is certain is there is no such thing as the oft quoted "balance of nature" nature is in a constant and violent state of flux and change which has now been accelerated by man. Cant see that stocking a new impoundment with an apex predator that replaces an extinct one so closely is going to have any effect in the greater scheme of things myself. Good on the guys putting in the work to do it, should get help and support to do it not get bagged  IMHO

Not sure if it me you're having a shot at, but I haven't bagged the Stocking Group.  I've suggested that DEEDI's regulations are weak and they are not followed universally when it comes to different groups, different locations and different species.  DEEDI has the say in what goes where not a Stocking Group, and yet DEEDI seems to sway with the breeze when it comes to enforcement.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
No not having a go at you Dale, comment was general, there seems to be an overwhelming Bass centric view towards stocking. Believe stocking should be more mixed species to an a ecological framework myself. Agree entirely that the personal preferences of a few public servants should not determine that perfectly justifiable naturally occuring species cant be stocked, or be put on a management plan to give someone the incentive to produce them. Jacks being a prime example, pure BS that they cant be on SEQ management plans.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
In a perfect world we wouldn't need to restock any fish.... but we need water so we go & destroy a really good river by dumping a gazillion tons of rock & concrete across it, forever dooming migratory patterns for native fish. So for recreational fishing we restock.
The problem is the inconsistency in the application of the Precautionary Principle & it's sister the Translocation Policy. These twins should be the pick of the litter, but because they only let out of the kennel occasionally they're more like mongrels when they show up in your back yard.

No matter which way the coin falls, a consistent application of the aforementioned principles would see many folks accept decision more readily & not allow unachievable expectaions to form (and leading to disappointment).

Currently the following species are selectively allowed (under permit) to be translocated in Qld:
Bass
Golden Perch (Murray Darling & Fitzroy strains)
Silver Perch
Sooty Grunter
Barramundi
Mary River Cod
Saratoga (both leichardti & jardini)
............ I've probably missed something......

At some stage we need to be doing things better & smarter. That means leaving the Murray Darling species west of the great divide, pull bass out of all waters north of the Noosa etc etc but what about those species affected by all that rock n concrete mentioned above? Mullet, Jungle Perch, occasionally Mangrove Jacks, Big Eye Trevally etc etc? Nothing is yet being done....

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
In a perfect world we wouldn't need to restock any fish.... but we need water so we go & destroy a really good river by dumping a gazillion tons of rock & concrete across it, forever dooming migratory patterns for native fish. So for recreational fishing we restock.
The problem is the inconsistency in the application of the Precautionary Principle & it's sister the Translocation Policy. These twins should be the pick of the litter, but because they only let out of the kennel occasionally they're more like mongrels when they show up in your back yard.

No matter which way the coin falls, a consistent application of the aforementioned principles would see many folks accept decision more readily & not allow unachievable expectaions to form (and leading to disappointment).

Currently the following species are selectively allowed (under permit) to be translocated in Qld:
Bass
Golden Perch (Murray Darling & Fitzroy strains)
Silver Perch
Sooty Grunter
Barramundi
Mary River Cod
Saratoga (both leichardti & jardini)
............ I've probably missed something......

At some stage we need to be doing things better & smarter. That means leaving the Murray Darling species west of the great divide, pull bass out of all waters north of the Noosa etc etc but what about those species affected by all that rock n concrete mentioned above? Mullet, Jungle Perch, occasionally Mangrove Jacks, Big Eye Trevally etc etc? Nothing is yet being done....

So for example , a dam like Borumba that is on a tributary of the Mary River , what species would be stocked if Bass , Silvers and Goldens were taken out of the equation?

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »
So for example , a dam like Borumba that is on a tributary of the Mary River , what species would be stocked if Bass , Silvers and Goldens were taken out of the equation?

Cheers,
Dave.

Cheers,
Dave.

In Borumba I'd say only Mary River cod & probably some bum breathing turtle, but both are protected species.....

If we were to start again there & apply the translocation & precautionary principles, Borumba would be a great spangled perch fishery now.

There's another recommendation on the books for future species about a 100/100 rule for catadromous species (bass, barra, mullet, trevally, JPs, Mangrove Jacks, Bream etc); that being no further than 100km from the sea & no higher than 100m in elevation. Only a recommendation mind you, but that would then rule out even more lakes, so even if Bass were permitted north of the Noosa River, Borumba is too far upstream on that system, same for Baroon Pocket Dam, Somerset, Moogerah, Maroon, Boondooma, Baramba, Cania, Wuruma, Callide, Paradise (I think), Dyer, Cressbrook etc

Then the same for barra in Eungella, Maraboon, Tinaroo....

Can you see what recreational fishing is facing in the future?  Imagine if they applied the precautionary principle to making the dams....

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
You forgot the Mason Dixon principle Fitz  :'(

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
Why wouldn't Bass get a gurnsey north of the Noosa?  As far as I'm aware they historically ranged as far north as the  Elliot including Mary, Burrum, Isis and Gregory ?

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »
Why wouldn't Bass get a gurnsey north of the Noosa?  As far as I'm aware they historically ranged as far north as the  Elliot including Mary, Burrum, Isis and Gregory ?

Agree with the Mary & have caught them in an apparently unstocked Isis R.

They might get a run 'cept for the Mason / Dixon line mentioned by elops drawn on the map around the Mary R.... recent applications made on the Mary R for bass stocking have been declined. No barra south, no bass north if we were kicking off from scratch. If bass get stretched north of Fraser Is, then barra would get stretched south to Straddie Is.

I'm ok with a rule book, so long as its consistently applied, if only for public / peer perception / transparacy; the ship needs shaping up.  :youbeauty

What are your thoughts on the whole scheme of restocking & a good future direction to take Jim? 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 12:03:35 AM »
I think if its not broke (stocking) then don't fix it (or bugger with it) - but that we probably need to do more science to prove that its not broke (issues being genetics, overloading top order predators, impacts on rare and threatened species). Bureurocrats tend to be conservative species and in the absence of committments to science funding and the knowledge that flows from it will take the 'precautionary approach' and stop doing things (like stocking) in case it is bad on the principle that it may be 'too risky'.

I think if we want to have a viable stocking based put and take fishery future we need to lobby for funds for the science to be done and be grown up enough that when it shows us there are real risks - we need to be responsible and manage/ avoid them but otherwise, I think (gut feel) that the science will prove to be positive in terms of supporting well managed stocking based put and take fisheries primarily in impounded waters. 

I also think we need a quantum increase in funding for win wins in conservation / rec fishing with regard to stocking threatened species like our Mary/ Brissie/Eastern cod in the sub tropics, possible also Jungle Perch and others like Maccas down south - with the intention for rec support for the recovery o fthese species being new catch relase fisheries.

Having said that I support the need for ongoing stocking I also think there is swags more fishing dividend potential to be reaped from habitat rehabilitation than is currently achieved - fish passage, channel physical form and structure, riparian vegetation, aquatic weeds and water quality and targeted nursery habitat rehab - some strategic investment in these areas could deliver good rec fishing outcomes, I reckon  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »

I also think we need a quantum increase in funding for win wins in conservation / rec fishing with regard to stocking threatened species like our Mary/ Brissie/Eastern cod in the sub tropics, possible also Jungle Perch and others like Maccas down south - with the intention for rec support for the recovery o fthese species being new catch relase fisheries.

Having said that I support the need for ongoing stocking I also think there is swags more fishing dividend potential to be reaped from habitat rehabilitation than is currently achieved - fish passage, channel physical form and structure, riparian vegetation, aquatic weeds and water quality and targeted nursery habitat rehab - some strategic investment in these areas could deliver good rec fishing outcomes, I reckon  :youbeauty

Unfortunatley, here in Queensland we have the SIP Scheme which is being miscontrued by many as the be all and end all of stocking.  We have Stocking Groups who do not understand the scheme, and we have DEEDI who allow groups to join who shouldn't.  Members of SIP controlled Stocking Groups have to know that they are assisting to provide anglers with a put and take fishery from an un-natural environment and that is all.  The money raised for this, from anglers who fish those impoundments covered by the scheme should not, and really must not, be re-routed by our State Government employees to fix an issue the State Government is morally obliged to fix.  There should be absolutely zero SIP Scheme dollars used to restock dwindling or extinct fish in rivers.   Simply put, that is taxing a minority to support the environment.  There should be zero SIP dollars allocated to stocking a protected species, any species with a take limit of zero or any species subjected to a closed season in an impoundment.  When a state elects to go to a user pays system, they must be prepared to let the payer use.