Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Why do it?  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Fresh water
Why do it?
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
Why do people name specific places? I know finding a good spot is hard enough and it is nice to help people (in person). But if you do the hard yards anyone can find places to fish, but then you jump on here and people just give out detailed directions on the net.. I personally recon people get big heads by saying I did this and I do that. I love reading posts and seeing good pictures but let’s keep away from naming places.

Gerard.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Why do it?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
Naming specific estuaries and creeks is OK but handing out waypoints is probably a bit over the top. You ought to have a look at the Ausbass site; they specifically warn against putting up locations.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
Why do people name specific places? I know finding a good spot is hard enough and it is nice to help people (in person). But if you do the hard yards anyone can find places to fish, but then you jump on here and people just give out detailed directions on the net.. I personally recon people get big heads by saying I did this and I do that. I love reading posts and seeing good pictures but let’s keep away from naming places.

Gerard.

Has someone mentioned your little place of paradise?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
The site is also about sharing and helping if you have your own particular spot and want to keep it to yourself so be it but what is wrong with sharing a location if someone else can enjoy it and you are not going to endanger a fishery by sharing.
 After all you do not own the spot just because you have found it. It is more than likely that the spot is already well known.
 Just because a location is named you still have to work out times,gear,tactics etc.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1295
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Via mobile

A fair enough question Gerard. However I'll answer a question with a question; why not?

Firstly, I couldn't give a pigs dinger what other websites (and magazines as well for that matter) do or say, I encourage people to share experiences, info and places, this is the very essence of sweetwaterfishing.com.au AND it's provided here for free, not payed for or hidden in some secret society boys club.....

In my opinion if all publicly accessible locations are shared it will spread the effort. Without sharing something like where or how to get there I recon a report or article is just pissing for distance; "see how good I am" attitudes never impress me much, never have, never will.

If anyone can convince me it's not a good thing to share info that doesn't involve the complainant being purely and simply selfish, then I'll happily remove offending info from the site.

Cheers,

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
I have to agree with Fitz.  You see a lot of posts on other sites with guys holding fish and the background blacked out.  Fair enough, if you just want to tell everyone how good you are and not help people get onto them themselves, but if you're like that, please stay on the other sites.  Some sites have hidden forums for members only so they can share spots with the chosen few, that doesn't happen here, and it bloody won't while Fitz and I are here.  If you want to go fishing on the Brissie River between Wivenhoe and Kholo, just look for the pink ribbons.  Fitz has marked most access points so people can find them.  You want to know what to do, and where to go, ask here.  Look at Catfish Al's post yesterday.  Pretty bloody descriptive, and I"m bloody proud to call him a member.  No sure if it's pissin' for distance or dick measuring, but I'll never win either contest, so I'll just tell people how and where I'm getting them.  I won't go and catch them for them, but I'll give them a bloody good idea how to do it.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I used to black out the backgrounds in pictures and was vague in location details ( but don't anymore ), BUT once you get out and about especially in SEQLD , you quickly realise that there is a Bass plague on ! Some places are better than others . The floods from early 2011 were the game changer everyone should be taking advantage of .

Even places like Shines Road at Wivenhoe ( my local ) , numbers of anglers have NOT greatly increased since becoming famous on IFISH or since the Wivenhoe Canoe/Kayak competition was run . Most notable have been the local landholders out in force trolling in their tinnies. 

I really enjoy the pictures members have taken of the fish and scenery from places they have been. Would love to be able to go to many of them but time and distance keeps me away. Reading about it on here is the next best thing.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
The policy I referred to on the others sites was never meant as a suggestion that we should do likewise, but pointing out the anality that exists. Fish have fins and they swim. Day one's hotspot can be a desert on day two anyhow. Let's try to be a little cool and not get into a shitfight over this OK.
JD

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1295
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
The policy I referred to on the others sites was never meant as a suggestion that we should do likewise, but pointing out the anality that exists. Fish have fins and they swim. Day one's hotspot can be a desert on day two anyhow. Let's try to be a little cool and not get into a shitfight over this OK.
JD

Agreed JD. wasn't having a shot, making an observation on the differences. many mags are the same, some exotic locations shown quite obviously, but little info given on where it is or how to access it other than going via the guide that was screwed over to give a free trip in lieu of the mention in the rag.

At days end, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them catch fish. I've been sharing some of my favourite spots both easy to access & more remote in print for over 20 years now & in recent years via sweetwater, and wow, I can still go and catch fish there. Who would have thunk it that it wouldn't be fished out by now huh????  :popcorn)

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Secret Bass Creeks
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »
Even though i understand where your coming from ill have to agree with fitz.
Ryan

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
I must say I agree with Fitzy and Dale, you should all write in these pages, where what and how you fished.

Just keep off my river. :Hunting)

Gordon

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
Does anyone want some gps coordinates for hotspots for carp,tilapia or forkies?
Pretty certain other members woukd be happy to give theirs out also. ;)
 CHeers
Ray

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
Thanks Fitz, no worries there mate. Gordon what river is that so I can avoid it?
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »

Gerard.

Why do people put up reports at all? Seriously - is there something deep down in a fisho that makes us want to share our catch, prove our piscartorial prowess to our peers? Some of the best fishos I know, or know of, dont ever report - they dont need the "nice ones"and "well done". Conundrum right there.....
This popped up not so long a go elsewhere, specifically naming locations, and that location being pillaged by, in this instance, professional netters.
Its a common belief that there are a lot of people, anglers, danglers, shamatures, and professionals, that troll forums speciffically looking at reports .... I often wonder at the numbers of guests logged on at any one time... Its not just fishing forums, bragging on social media sites (AKA Face Book), is also rich pickings for the lazy, the greedy and the hungry  - Ive seen it first hand a couple of time recently.
Personally, I will turn off from a net report or forum post if the pictures posted have the background  blacked out, I find that so annoying/insulting, I couldnt be bothered reading or taking in the thread, no matter how good the fish or fishing session.
I enjoy reports with pictures that show fish and background, the general area fished, and the general technique used, I dont need to know the ins and outs of a cats bum, I do appreciate those who go into finite detail including where and how they fished, but it doesnt mean I will head off to plunder their spot tomorrow morning, it just inspires me to find my own spots.
In saying that, one day Im going to fish Heart attack Hill, and try a pie....
In the end, I am convinced there are no secret spots, my, your, every ones honey hole has been, or is being, fished by Mr John Smith, he can use Google earth, has the gumption to explore, and is keen enough to have a crack at remote water.
Other words ol mate, its the way of the world, if you dont like it, you dont report your trips on the net
Merry Christmas to you
Brian

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »
The Clarrence JD, Jackadgery to the mouth.

Gordon.

Have a great Christmas fellas. :youbeauty

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events