Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bass, Snakes & Cattle Mustering!  (Read 4844 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Bass, Snakes & Cattle Mustering!
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »
Bass, Snakes & Cattle Mustering!
Taking my Dad, John and his mate Phil Bass fishing on Friday just gone to clear their salty veins with some freshwater was nothing short of an adventure, well for me anyway.

I always seem to find trouble or trouble finds me, either way I wouldn’t have it any other way. I had just got over a shoulder injury after falling 15 feet down a cliff like embankment through a root ball from a fallen tree while walking the banks chasing wild Bass in the upper reaches of Coochin just recently. I was elated to swing a paddle again as we embarked on travelling upstream at first light on this incredible picturesque stretch of creek.

I made a comment to Dad a day prior that the fishing would be pretty tough going as a new weather front approached which saw the barometric pressure drop considerably, however it was great to just get out on the water again. One hundred metres up from the first set of rapids I approached the first snag which lay’s approximately 5 meters from the bank. With my go to surface lure tied on, I cast past the snag towards the steep, grassy lined bank. Letting the ripples dissipate, I gave a twitch of the rod bringing the lure to life which saw a Bass inquisitively knock the lure. Another little twitch after a long pause saw the same Bass smash the Zara Puppy in an explosion of water. Now with the rod loaded up and the line cutting through the water, pulling me and the kayak into the maze of snags before me saw a tussle begin. I somehow miraculously managed to work this feisty Bass between the branches of this submerged tree. Finally I managed to get this fish clear of any structure and bought it yak side for a quick photo opportunity before its release.

From there on the fishing got tougher and tougher. With John and Phil not used to casting lures from water level, a few stray ones landed themselves in the foliage of some nearby trees overhanging the creek. One particular lure found itself in a tree way up the bank, but very reachable, however it required me in getting out of the kayak and climbing some thick Lantana growth up a very steep bank. After retrieving the lure I slid my way down the bank, unable to see my bare feet.  I could see my kayak just below as Dad held it into position, however neither of us could see the brown snake that was hiding under a small floating piece of drift wood up against the bank until I stood on it. Time stood still and so did I as I watched it swim against my left leg and into the stirred up murky water. I quickly scrambled over the other side of the kayak in chest high water placing the kayak between me and snake as I watch it swim away towards drier ground. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have compression bandages on hand when either walking banks or kayaking these creeks and this is the reason why, it could be the difference between life and death, literally. I have at least 2 of them packed in my kit every time I venture these types of waters and never leave home without them. I was lucky on this occasion not to be tagged.
Continuing upstream, shaken, but not stirred in what could have been, we concentrated our thoughts again on luring some of these Bass, which was really tough. John and Phil didn’t even get a touch; however I got two other hits, one Bass which followed my lure all the way to the kayak before it struck.

Deciding to turn around and head back after reaching the head waters of this larger hole, I paddled ahead only to see and hear a bit of commotion in some thick grass alongside the western bank. As I approached, I saw a beast falling into the creek which was now stuck in the mud trying to reach higher ground. The bank was very steep and it was an impossibility that this cow was ever going to pull itself up.

I quickly scanned the area and saw that the best area to get this beast back up on dry ground was 200 metres back upstream. She was extremely stressed and wanted to swim across the creek, however the other side was twice the gradient. I managed to prevent her from crossing the creek on two occasions by maneuvering my kayak pushing her back towards the bank to where she fell, however it was in vain. On her third attempt I left my kayak for the water myself, turning her head while slapping her on the rump saw her swim in the direction I wanted her to go. Now back in the saddle/kayak I was able to keep her aligned with the bank as she tried on numerous occasions to climb out; however the banks were too soft as she bellied out in the mud.

She eventually made it to where I thought she’d have the best attempts to get out and after much encouragement, she’d finally made her way up the bank as she turned and mooed to show her appreciation.

Good deed done for the Day.

No other fish were caught for the session, however more glimpses of the odd platypus searching for food on the surface was witnessed as we made our way back downstream.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
Re: Bass, Snakes & Cattle Mustering!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
Great report Dave .I thought the country looked a little familiar but the more I looked the more I think it isn't where I thought it was (geez say that twenty times in a hurry). The rains this year really put the brakes on my fishing having only landed one small bass in the local over the last few months. I have even ventured into the salt a few times trying to catch my first tuna on fly over the last month employing slightly different methods to the bassin' and climbing a very steep learning curve. Needless to say I haven't hooked or landed any Longtails but have at least had a few shots at them. I seriously need to get another bass fix. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Yeah Pat I was thinking the same... It has been a tough few months. Every time the creeks clear, another lot of rain seems to put  adampener on things again.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Sounds like a pretty eventful trip! Good work on the rescue, must have felt nice watching her get back onto dry land.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
And farmer joe would be oblivious to what happend.. good stuff mate not a bad cow either shame its not white tho  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:31:31 AM »
Thanks Noddy, it always feels good after doing a good deed.

And farmer joe would be oblivious to what happend.. good stuff mate not a bad cow either shame its not white tho  :youbeauty

I could hear a tractor working in the backgroud Steve. There was a lot of stock on the creek side of a boundary fence, more so than I have seen in the past. The river was at it's lowest that I've seen too.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
G'Day Dave,
Good story, good water and by the sound of it a great day out! I had a similar incident with a cow on the upper Richmond. The cow had just calved and we didn't want to lose the calf so towed her behind the boat down to where she could get out of the water. The cocky came along for the ride and was very grateful. A little bit of PR goes a long way with angler/landholder relations. Mind you it's probably better that the cattle stay out of the creek in the first place. I'm up in Ingham at the moment about to go to Lucinda for a bit of salt spray. All our creeks in Northern NSW are too thick to navigate and too thin to cultivate.
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery