Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Unusual captures  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Unusual captures
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Who has caught a fish that shouldn't have been where it was?  Anyone have any pics of one of those Wivenhoe Barra, or Somerset Murray Cod?
Here's a Golden Perch who was geographically confused.  I caught him, or her, in Futter Creek at Lake Awoonga.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Unusual captures
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
Dale, not the first one I have heard of from Awoonga. I have a suspicion there were some up in the top of the Boyne for many years.
I worked up at Buliyan for about 6 months many, many moons ago..the locals used to talk about perch in the river, I always assumed they were talking Barra, until described to me as sort of golden/yellowy underneath and dull greenish/olive on top.

Wonder if Kurt knows more???

Brad

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
He obviously liked that barra lure Dale.
JD

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
When fishing that first Awoonga Pro / Am with the big galloot, Barefoot Fisherman. We were up in some backwater and had got our first metery and drifted further up the bay while mucking around...when we started looked to start casting again we were in a section of bank not previously fished and almost washing up the rocky shoreline, water was very clear.... Noticed a long log laying at 45 down into the water from this steep bank and could clearly see a couple of dark fish in the shade of this log. Backing off with the minn kota we both pegged a couple of lures in there and were rewarded with an immediate response from a sooty grunter as it came charging out like a wing 3/4 to attack the lures. Missed the hooks on that one but in the middle of a barra comp we couldn't give a pigs dinger about barra for a while and kept looking for sooties.

Got one more strike from a small black tank in the next hour before we decided to get back to the barra comp since we were supposed to be there for the Penn Team, thought we better make a bit of an effort.

Sooties were stocked into Awoonga years back and apparently didn't take...we found a small pocket right up the back of this bay that had a nice rocky shoreline and feeder creek.  They must have bred at some stage. These fish were all around a kilo (guestimate)